Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Like Chris, I'm not sure I can easily answer that either. There's no real definitive time limit. It has more to do with the genotype of the breed/variety bred. The best explanation I've seen is when Kenny Troiano explained it in the Poultry Press and talked about Gamefowl (I don't remember specifically what kind). He mentioned three or four different kinds of the same breed, and I think variety, by name. I think Hatrick was one. I think Sweater was another. They were unique names and I'm not sure if it was the breeder's name or not. Can't remember if those are even the names. Something like that but you get the point I'm sure. Anyways, these birds had all been linebred in a closed flock for so long that one could tell who they were from just by looking at them. There was some distinctive feature that set them apart from another. And the thing that makes them a strain is that they all look alike because they've been inbred to the point where all the offspring are pretty much coming out identical.

So if you couple that with what Don says in Chris' quote and what Chris said, I think you'd have a pretty good definition of "strain". I definitely think it is totally about what's in the blood or, in other words, is the makeup of the genetic pool.

To maybe illustrate this better. There are a couple of folks trying to develop a Blue Laced Barnevelder. I believe one person used a Blue Wyandotte and the other a Blue Rock. So, for the sake of example, let's say after 4-5 years they both have Blue Laced Barnies that are close enough to be acceptable to the APA but there is some feature that would distinguish them from each other. And I suppose even if you couldn't tell the difference between them, they would still be two different strains. The Genotype being completely different even though the Phenotype may vary very little.

That's the best I can do at trying to define it.

God Bless,

Quote:
I'd agree with you there too Chris. And I'd agree with Don as well. I'd say it takes a good three years of selecting and breeding before one could be confident enough to say they've got their own line. I know that may seem to contradict what I said before. I just don't know what else to call it other than a "line" but my main point being that once a person makes a choice to put a pen of birds together and breed them, they can't go back if they mess up the breed/variety and credit the result to the original breeder with the problem. Personally speaking, for the first several years I bred, if it turned out better I credited the previous breeder with giving me a good genetic pool and his years of efforts. If I screwed something up and they turned out worse than the parents, I said I screwed up.

God Bless,

How old are Buckeyes when they get their Adult feathers?

Dan
Chicks/ juvenile chickens go through 7 sets of juvenile feathers before putting on their adult plummage. Usually, they start putting on their first set of adult plummage at about 4-5 months old and gradullay keep adding for the next months.

Chicks/ juvenile chickens go through 7 sets of juvenile feathers before putting on their adult plummage. Usually, they start putting on their first set of adult plummage at about 4-5 months old and gradullay keep adding for the next months.
Thanks for the info Chris!

Dan

I had been thinking about getting Buckeyes and ran across this thread. Is there a hatchery you'd recommend for their Buckeyes? I've had some MEAN roosters before and so hadn't planned on getting anymore, but it would be fun to hatch some babies. How are Buckeye roosters? And do Buckeyes do ok in a mixed flock if they're so docile? (sussex, naked necks, marans, welsummers) I also hadn't known that a woman named Metcalf created the breed, not sure if I'm related to that particular Metcalf but it sure made me want them more!

I had been thinking about getting Buckeyes and ran across this thread. Is there a hatchery you'd recommend for their Buckeyes? I've had some MEAN roosters before and so hadn't planned on getting anymore, but it would be fun to hatch some babies. How are Buckeye roosters? . And do Buckeyes do ok in a mixed flock if they're so docile? (sussex, naked necks, marans, welsummers) I also hadn't known that a woman named Metcalf created the breed, not sure if I'm related to that particular Metcalf but it sure made me want them more!
Buckeyes are very docile with other breeds. I would put them at the very low end of aggression. In fact, the hens are more prone to getting picked on by other breeds. I always tell people, my hens have NEVER drawn in blood on each other. Occasionally, a small , silly hen fight will break out over some treat I have taken out but it never escalates to anything serious.

Is there a hatchery you'd recommend for their Buckeyes? How are Buckeye roosters?
I wouldn't recommend any hatchery for good examples of any breed, though hatchery stock is fine if you're just looking for utility birds. Any hatchery is going to breed for volume, not adherence to the SOP. I've only had Buckeyes since last fall but I love the laidback, calm, yet bold and curious attitude of the roo I have, his temperament is just as sweet as the Wyandottes I had a few years ago.

Quote:
Some pictures of hatchery Buckeyes I have seen, I thought the birds looked decent (as much as one can discern from a picture). One problem with the hatcheries is, as far as I know, they mostly flock breed & the origin of their birds is not really known. The exception would be Shady Lane Poultry, which breeds responsibly & his birds' origins are known.

One important thing, wherever you get your Buckeye chicks, from a hatchery or from a breeder, do feed the chicks a higher protein starter about the first 8 weeks (a starter greater than 26% protein). I feed mine a 30% Gamebird starter (as that is what is readily available to me), and this formula has worked for me. I would be interested in seeing how hatchery Buckeyes turned out, as far as their growth, with a high protein starter.

There are also some strains that have a faster or better rate of growth because they have been selected for the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom