Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to all of the participants in the

Southern Ohio Poultry Association Spring Show 2013

Jr Buckeye Large Fowl
Best of Breed – Sydney Shumaker (Cock)
Reserve – Evan Edingfield (Hen)

Jr Buckeye Bantam
Best of Breed & Reserve – Brandi Powell (Cockerel & Pullet)

Open Buckeye Large Fowl
Best of Breed & Reserve – Shumaker Farm (Cock & Hen)

Open Buckeye Bantam
Best of Breed & Reserve – Sharon Fields (Cockerel & Pullet)

Nettie’s Vision Trophy – Sydney Shumaker (Cock)
A buckeye was on champion row again at this show. The buckeye cock in the open made Reserve Champion American which makes a buckeye on champion row 3 out of the last 4 shows in Lucasville. That's a pretty good run. There were more buckeyes shown than any other breed in the American class both in the open and junior. Not a bad turnout.

Last edited:
A buckeye was on champion row again at this show. The buckeye cock in the open made Reserve Champion American which makes a buckeye on champion row 3 out of the last 4 shows in Lucasville. That's a pretty good run. There were more buckeyes shown than any other breed in the American class both in the open and junior. Not a bad turnout.
Congratulations on your RCH American win at Lucasville! Always good to see a Buckeye on Champion row.

Ok guys- not only am I new here to BYC but I am new to chickens in general. I have tried to do a lot of research befor ever ordering my chicks. I have 4 Buckeye girls, 4 Buff Orpington girls and 3 Domonique girls. I also have the "fry pan special" of all Roos that can be any of up to ten breeds including the three mentioned for the girls. My goal is to keep one roo of each of three breeds (assuming my fry pan special allows that) and butcher the rest of the Roos. I would like to separate the roo and his three girls of a given breed at various times of the year in order to fertilize a hatch of eggs true to that breed. (All my chosen breeds are endangered dual purpose that can go broody.).
My question is this: are these chicks brothers and sisters since they came from the same hatchery at the same? If so, can I breed them, desiring a self-renewing flock true to breed? I have no idea of the breed lines or strains. Does this matter if I am never going to show them? I just want to have my own supply of good chickens indefinitely and thought to try and preserve a breed at the same time.
ANY thoughts would be appreciated. Tank you!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad your here! Good luck with your flock!

Quote:
Ok Thanks L, I've actually been on here a long time, but, I was mostly on our Washingtonian social thread, met some great peeps there, but, there have been a lot of changes to that thread so I don't go there much any more. So, I guess it's a good time to search and see what else they have on here!

The biggest piece of advice Nettie Metcalf gave to breeders of her day was to cull any buckeye that had pure white feathers. There is a difference between a white bar and an all white feather. She made a point that an all white feathered buckeye should NEVER be bred. Period. Everyone knows my stance on building the barn and painting it at the same time. But I have good type and color to start with. So now I just have to make it better.

Ahh good to know! Thank you!
thumbsup.gif

Ok guys- not only am I new here to BYC but I am new to chickens in general. I have tried to do a lot of research befor ever ordering my chicks. I have 4 Buckeye girls, 4 Buff Orpington girls and 3 Domonique girls. I also have the "fry pan special" of all Roos that can be any of up to ten breeds including the three mentioned for the girls. My goal is to keep one roo of each of three breeds (assuming my fry pan special allows that) and butcher the rest of the Roos. I would like to separate the roo and his three girls of a given breed at various times of the year in order to fertilize a hatch of eggs true to that breed. (All my chosen breeds are endangered dual purpose that can go broody.).
My question is this: are these chicks brothers and sisters since they came from the same hatchery at the same? If so, can I breed them, desiring a self-renewing flock true to breed? I have no idea of the breed lines or strains. Does this matter if I am never going to show them? I just want to have my own supply of good chickens indefinitely and thought to try and preserve a breed at the same time.
I have almost the same problem, I have decided to have a chicken tractor dedicated to each breed that I want. I have finished the first and have five australorp chicks in it hoping that I picked a rooster and four hens. At some point in the near future I will need to finish the tractors for my buckeyes and wyandottes. I am going to need to find a source for roosters and have already started making a list of the friends on BYC that have those three breeds.
Does it matter that I am never going to show them? Yes, someday the inbreeding will cause the chicks to be unhealthy at the same time inbreeding or line breeding is important to the experienced breeder, it locks in desired traits and removes undesirable ones when done properly.

Yes, someday the inbreeding will cause the chicks to be unhealthy at the same time inbreeding or line breeding is important to the experienced breeder, it locks in desired traits and removes undesirable ones when done properly.

According to Kenny Troiano in the Poultry Press last Summer, I think, he has bred his flock for 25 years without ever having to bring in new blood. He spent several issues detailing how he did it. He supposedly has the most photographed bird in the world, has written books, and commands hundreds of dollars for his birds so I take it that he must know what he's talking about.

He linebreeds and maintains a closed flock. I'm attempting to do the same. We'll have to see how it goes but it made sense to me.

God Bless,

It is likely that the chicks are full brothers/sisters. But it would depend on the level of capacity the hatchery keeps for that particular breed. For instance I have seen in the videos of Cackle that they keep a pretty good size flock of birds in their Buckeye breeding pen. It would be best to get into contact with the hatchery you had purchased from.

If you just want the birds for eggs/meat, and don't plan to show, you can easily get into contact with a number of breeders for cock birds. Several will have good looking birds that just don't make the cut for showing, but would still be great for breeding purposes.

According to Kenny Troiano in the Poultry Press last Summer, I think, he has bred his flock for 25 years without ever having to bring in new blood. He spent several issues detailing how he did it. He supposedly has the most photographed bird in the world, has written books, and commands hundreds of dollars for his birds so I take it that he must know what he's talking about.

He linebreeds and maintains a closed flock. I'm attempting to do the same. We'll have to see how it goes but it made sense to me.

God Bless,
I would like to read the articles, but I will skip spending hundreds on a bird when the risk of predators on my place is high. I have liked long distance backpacking when I was younger and it is possible to spend lots on the hobby only to drop an ounce from the pack, a lot cheaper to go without lunch and take the ounce off my waist.
lau.gif

God bless you also,
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom