Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a question to everyone. We know that too much calcium for developing pullets can be harmful, but what do you do if your pullets are free-ranging and have access (limited as it may be) to the layer rations that the hens are eating. I can't really prevent them from getting some of the layer pellets and they do get the majority of their food on pasture, so it's not as if they're eating the layer ration exclusively. Thoughts?

My little buckeye baby isn't doing so well. She doesn't seem to be growing and is 5 weeks now. Her one eye seems to be infected. I've got her in a cage by herself and added Unpasturized vinegar to her water. She seems to be sleeping a lot too.
Is there anything else I can do? She is my favorite chick and it would break my heart if something happened to her!

looks like I have 3 pullets and four cockerels, one of the pullets seems to be a failure to thrive, in any case she is much smaller than the other two, cull or not????
one of the cockerels is turning our to be very aggressive, I have decided to cull him !!!

Ocap, we've had a midget or two hatch out over the years. One was a cockerel who finished up being a whopping 3lb cock. Despite dedicated attempts to find him a home in a Buckeye bantam flock (what chicks would that bad boy have thrown!?!) he ended up a pet in Florida. Of all the undersized pullets, none have survived past what would be their point of lay -egg binding was suspected in two cases- too big of an egg for that little pelvis? All this to say, don't cull just yet. Is she not eating well because she's being out competed at the feeder or is she just really not eating? If she's eating and gets past point of lay and actually starts to lay and is small enough for a bantam cock to cover successfully, re-home her to a bantam Buckeye breeder. There's a list of bantam breeders on the ABPC website www.americanbuckeyepoultryclub.com and the bantam Buckeye is in dire need of conservators

My little buckeye baby isn't doing so well. She doesn't seem to be growing and is 5 weeks now. Her one eye seems to be infected. I've got her in a cage by herself and added Unpasturized vinegar to her water. She seems to be sleeping a lot too.
Is there anything else I can do? She is my favorite chick and it would break my heart if something happened to her!

I hope someone sees this. I'm very worried!

Ocap, we've had a midget or two hatch out over the years. One was a cockerel who finished up being a whopping 3lb cock. Despite dedicated attempts to find him a home in a Buckeye bantam flock (what chicks would that bad boy have thrown!?!) he ended up a pet in Florida. Of all the undersized pullets, none have survived past what would be their point of lay -egg binding was suspected in two cases- too big of an egg for that little pelvis? All this to say, don't cull just yet. Is she not eating well because she's being out competed at the feeder or is she just really not eating? If she's eating and gets past point of lay and actually starts to lay and is small enough for a bantam cock to cover successfully, re-home her to a bantam Buckeye breeder. There's a list of bantam breeders on the ABPC website www.americanbuckeyepoultryclub.com and the bantam Buckeye is in dire need of conservators
I think that she has enough feeder space, but I will continue to watch and make sure. I have lowered the feeder to make sure she can reach the food. I will have some silkie bantams in the mail Tuesday, she might enjoy being in that flock. She is very shy. I will keep the Buckeye bantam in mind if she starts to lay. Thanks !!!

This morning I found my only Buckeye roo dead. This is the third one in 4 months and now I don't having any left. No hens have died, just roos. Any idea what could cause this? By that I mean is there any diseases or illnesses that only effect roos. He wasn't that old (1 1/2 years at the most), so age is not something I suspect.

Last edited:
I am new to raising chickens and have purchased some really nice buckeye chicks but was hoping to find 2-3 nice buckeye hens in or pretty close to Arkansas. Does anyone know of someone in Arkansas that may have some? I know it's the wrong time of year to be looking but I still want some. My wife and I love to watch them around the yard.

Last edited:
Hi folks,

Sorry I didn't see these sooner, sometimes the BYC "subscriptions" seem to drop and I don't get notifications. I'll try to help with these questions as I can (I don't know all the answers.)

Laura

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom