Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
DarkRedBird - I think offensive is too strong, but evaluating your words and the way you latch onto meanings so quickly, and the narrow stance you take ... you and I would not make good teammates! :)

Now, narrow allowances for show activities is called for, but not in general life - and that is why I would sever from any business or close dealing with you. I am sure your efforts are an enhancement to the breed, but your personality clashes with mine, so we won't party. :)

That, and I DO want pictures of perfect, good and just loved birds and the stories that go with those pictures. I would want to hear about your endeavors about getting the color you consider best and why - just not the other stuff. To clarify - I do want to hear about your efforts that are narrow and stiff - but not the talking about others that don't follow those personal standards.

So I hope you do more than connect to link of standards (which I did click on and will surf) - but share your own anecdotes about your efforts and results and your goals. I may just agree with you, but I don't know yet.

My only goal right now is a nicely colored hen that gobbles up mice and voles !!! :) ha ha ha ha I"m sure that will expand later.

Laura thank you for posting what you have written for the PP. I find some of what you are saying to be true regarding the sun bleaching. As we all know that the UV does break down items over time regardless if its feathers or some other component. But, what really gets to me is and please don’t take this as a personal attack, just my opinion, is the reference to the SOP of the past. That to me is an in-direct poke at the ABC for trying to recreate what Nettie had envisioned. While I understand that standards do change over the years and that when revisions are issued by governing body that not all areas (in this case breeds) change. Some may and some may not. Some may change in big ways and others may change slightly. Some might change in just clearing up wording to make it easier to understand while in most cases this does cause problems in itself. I do believe that the SOP from the beginning has not changed so drastically with the Buckeye that the content regarding slate undertone has been revised. It might have been the wording more so than what was required.

As for birds that are lighter in color from one line/strain with little to no slate and the outer color being on the light side well that would make the bird a DQ for meeting the SOP or a bird who would have more redder/ deep mahogany color with no slate undertone that too would be a DQ for meeting the SOP . A bird having deep mahogany color and slate undertone would be meeting the SOP right on the money. But have said that the first two could still meet the SOP as the word “should” is used and as a non-mandatory requirement. That is the interpretation that would be coming out by the judge. A judge not fully understanding how word usage is needed is not doing his/hers job correctly. Now we get to the subject of these birds with different coloring and then bring in the sun. A bird who is lighter tells me that his genetic make-up was always on the light side and would fade faster than any other. A bird that is rich in color and has good undertone color would keep his/her color longer as the undertone color helps in the color appearance and help it look darker longer.

As for the sexing of young birds I am not real familiar with the technique that you described for the feather patterning. But I do know about the comb and shank and agree with you on that. As for trying spices to help with color, I’m with you on that as well. Don’t know and not really sure I would want to try it on my flock.

Here is a picture of my Rooster. I believe that he is a fine specimen of the breed and meets the SOP. Though he is not perfect, I feel he’s perfect for me.
From what I can see in your picture, a very nice specimen of the breed - one thing: probably the picture, but hopefully, he mostly holds his wings higher up with wing tips tucked just under saddle feathers. Nice back (angle & length) and better than all the pictures I see of the other males lately with the backs going up to meet the tail.

There's a difference in the descriptive terms used in the Standard to describe the two breeds but the actual colour of the two differs little.
I very respectfully disagree. The RIR color to me looks more dead brown and darker, and the Buckeyes' mahogany bay is a bit lighter (no "dark" in the description), less brown and glows brighter red. I think it was Hugo Black once said (writing on another whole topic, of course), "I know it when I see it."

If you look at color plates of the two colors, they are distinctly different.

Chris

From what I can see in your picture, a very nice specimen of the breed - one thing: probably the picture, but hopefully, he mostly holds his wings higher up with wing tips tucked just under saddle feathers. Nice back (angle & length) and better than all the pictures I see of the other males lately with the backs going up to meet the tail.

I would have to agree about the wing carriage. I hope it's just this one photo, and that normally the bird holds his wings up more. I would also like to see more yellow in the legs. But he seems like a fine bird otherwise, with good color in body and tail, and a nice small comb (which is so very hard to get, good job there!)

Have some photos to post today, here are a couple to start you off:

Chris's Red Cloud, looking good!

Hen foraging in the grass:

Breed, Lay, or get et....yup, that's about it.
I have six about ten weeks old or so. I have no idea what sex they are. I don't know how to figure out what a saddle feather looks like. They all have plentiful tail feathers, thick and everywhere so I don't think I'll have any luck sexing them that way being new to this.

What is the "other" method or first sign of sex? I think three of them are showing the iridescent tail feathers. Is that exclusive to roosters or will the others also grow into that trait?

TIA

Breed, Lay, or get et....yup, that's about it.
I have six about ten weeks old or so. I have no idea what sex they are. I don't know how to figure out what a saddle feather looks like. They all have plentiful tail feathers, thick and everywhere so I don't think I'll have any luck sexing them that way being new to this.

What is the "other" method or first sign of sex? I think three of them are showing the iridescent tail feathers. Is that exclusive to roosters or will the others also grow into that trait?

TIA

I will try to take some pics today of my three month old pullets and cockerels for you, to show you what the saddle feathers look like at that age.

Some more photos for you this morning: three month old pullets in the hoop house, about to be moved to larger quarters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom