Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no had a chance to watch the judging of the Buckeye exhibits at a show; Walt, do judges really reach in the cages of a Buckeye and stretch it's neck up like a stovepipe to determine it's type?
my index finger touching (just touching) his beak hardly constitutes me " stretching it's neck up like a stove pipe", I just mearly stood the bird up because he was wanting scratch. This kind of thing is done ALL of the time especially when judging OE and moderns bantam/standard alike. I've witnessed this done for every breed of poultry. I'm sure Walt will tell you but I can get confessions from no less than 30 other judges that do this. I hear "his wings are too low...his wings are too low" crap...even get emails telling me "your birds wings are too low" or it's the wrong back angle (like it really means anything)......so I actually stand him up to prove when the bird stands up his wings are not "too low" and his back slopes properly. Now I'm "stretching his neck".......you can't make this stuff up..... as far as "rather long" for the back description....rather long compared to what? Longer than a cornish......shorter than a RIR.....if thats the case...wouldn't "rather short" mean the same thing? Afterall the bird is supposed to resemble (obviously not the same as) a cornish style body. Never a dull moment.......as far as color......this will be a never ending battle.....some see it one way and others see it another. The same can be said with judges. Some interpret Nettie's writings one way and other's try to relate it to the SOP. The bird is a dual purpose bird, there is alot of problems getting the type correct let alone the color. I've heard judges point out the darkest bird in the row of buckeyes and say "its a shame that bird doesn't have a body; his color is nice" and visa versa with color/type. Never a dull moment.......

Last edited:
I think when describing the color, people should use color chips like they sell paint with; that way, one could say this bird is Sherwin Williams #666 (for those REALLY red birds...heh). It would be easy to go to the local Sherwin Williams store, pick up a paint chip sample with that number and know exactly what color they're talking about.
Oh no, I would vastly prefer using the Pantone Color System, (but that's the graphic artist in me saying that.)

I say, let's call them Pantone 188, or maybe 1815.

lau.gif

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cLWcWuH2l9Q/UF9AgSuajnI/AAAAAAAAHdg/EsTHcDetlds/s1600/Pantone.png

Last edited:
The same can be said with judges. Some interpret Nettie's writings one way and other's try to relate it to the SOP.

Most of the judges *I* know all use the SOP to judge with, I don't know a single one who uses the writings of a woman who has been dead for, what, 68 years, to judge poultry with. Of course we all revere Mrs. Metcalf, no question there.

But I am pretty sure it's required of judges to use the SOP. Maybe Walt will confirm if I'm right on that.

But I am pretty sure it's required of judges to use the SOP. Maybe Walt will confirm if I'm right on that.
You think?!?!?!?! I wasn't refering to the judges rather than the people who breed them. Even at that; I've talked to so many of them that say the difference in color between the RIR and the buckeye is very little. That is how they choose to interpet it.

One more time for the sake of being repetitive; can you tell me where I can find a "legit" online copy of the SOP for the buckeye. How exactly does it differ from the original description of the breed when it was first introduced by the APA?

Last edited:
One more time for the sake of being repetitive; can you tell me where I can find a "legit" online copy of the SOP for the buckeye. How exactly does it differ from the original description of the breed when it was first introduced by the APA?

Sure. The current copy of the Standard for Buckeyes is available online at this link:

http://www.americanbuckeyepoultryclub.com/files/2010_Large_Fowl_Standard.pdf

I
t's as "legit" as it can get, since the APA has permitted the ABPC to post it (which I have had confirmed again in the past week by the President of the APA, just fyi.) Feel free to browse the site for more info pertaining to Buckeyes.

Joe and others, re back length, I was told by an experienced Buckeye breeder when I first started to aim for something a little longer than a New Hampshire back and shorter than an RIR back. A Plymouth Rock has a 'rather long' back.
I have found that if you let the back get too short you can get a very broad chest but you will lose some egg laying ability and they also need good abdomen space to be good eaters- the shorter length birds don't gain weight as fast. They just don't have the capacity to eat as much. Too long in the back and you lose the nice meat qualities Buckeyes should have.

Sure. The current copy of the Standard for Buckeyes is available online at this link:

http://www.americanbuckeyepoultryclub.com/files/2010_Large_Fowl_Standard.pdf

I
t's as "legit" as it can get, since the APA has permitted the ABPC to post it (which I have had confirmed again in the past week by the President of the APA, just fyi.) Feel free to browse the site for more info pertaining to Buckeyes. 

What are the differences in the current sop from when the breed was first recognized?

In graphics there is a program called "Pantone Matching System" it is used worldwide to describe color by numbers. They consist of swatches like you would find in a paint store.

Digital color is not true unless you use a very expensive program to calibrate your monitor daily. Then there is no assurance that the person didn't take the photo in subdued light to make it appear darker....along with the usual jpeg file errors that change color.

Bottom line is that there is no way to see color perfectly online.

Walt

I have no had a chance to watch the judging of the Buckeye exhibits at a show; Walt, do judges really reach in the cages of a Buckeye and stretch it's neck up like a stovepipe to determine it's type?

When a judge looks at any breed they look first at the bird in the cage, then take it out and go all over it looking from head to feet. There is no stretching of the neck in any breed. Modern Games are judged on their station, but not Buckeyes.

Walt

Most of the judges *I* know all use the SOP to judge with, I don't know a single one who uses the writings of a woman who has been dead for, what, 68 years, to judge poultry with. Of course we all revere Mrs. Metcalf, no question there.

If judges don't use the SOP they can get in some serious trouble.

w.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom