Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to see you had a good hatch Kathy.Germaine I think your htch will be just as good.Chipper good luck with Rnau's eggs.The will be the same bloodlines as the ones you got from me.We live close and are working together to get the best possible matings with Chris's input.
big_smile.png

Kathy, congrats on the hatch!

Soccer Mom, I understand. I started reading this thread and decided to get some buckeye eggs and it's all their fault! I hate to say it, but this has truly become an obsession! LOL

Quote:
Welcome to the obsession! They did it to me, too !
gig.gif

Question: Am I good to go, to breed with these from James? Or, do I need another line to start with?

Kathy, you should be able to breed them together for several years yet. Later, add in a cockerel from another line to keep things fresh.

Quote:
Buckeye fever appears to be highly contagious. Unfortunately my husband is making me build all the extra coops -- that's okay, it's worth risking life, limb, and the remaining nails on my left hand for
lol.png

Good Evening to all the buckeye loving folks. I'm gonna be new to the breed, although I think I know what I'm in for....nice birds!

I have 20 peeps ordered from a local breeder that will be ready for delivery April 26. I need to get another coop built in the meantime. I've read the whole thread, and I'm happy everyone here is happy too!

~ bigzio

BREEDER SELECTION QUESTIONs Hypothetically, let's say you had two birds who were identical except one had a touch of green in both wings and in the right light, just a touch in his hackles, and the other had some white in one tail feather (not the entire feather) If you had to put one in the breed pen, which one would it be?

Hypothetically, let's say you had two birds who were identical except one had perfect coloring, but the comb was a little off, stood a little tall, not quite even, but not horrendous, and the other one had a fantastic comb, but had a little green in his wings and in the right light just a touch in his hackles. If you had to put one in the breed pen, whick one would it be?

Quote:
My thoughts, sounds like buckeye soup is in order.

In perpetuity you will have those flaws in their offspring. They need to be eaten.
As rare as buckeyes are, those of us who perpetuate the breed need to be very particular about the stock we are breeding. How else will the breed maintain any consistency.

jenscott: Hypothetically, let's say you had two birds who were identical except one had a touch of green in both wings and in the right light, just a touch in his hackles, and the other had some white in one tail feather (not the entire feather) If you had to put one in the breed pen, which one would it be?

First, keep the one more genetically diverse from your other birds. If they are genetically the same (i.e. from the same Sire and Dam), then I would keep the first bird with the touch of green.

Hypothetically, let's say you had two birds who were identical except one had perfect coloring, but the comb was a little off, stood a little tall, not quite even, but not horrendous, and the other one had a fantastic comb, but had a little green in his wings and in the right light just a touch in his hackles. If you had to put one in the breed pen, whick one would it be?

Again, keep the one more genetically diverse from your other birds. I am not understanding by what you mean by "the comb was a little off, stood a little tall????, not quite even, but not horrendous." If I had a bunch of birds with horrific combs and needed to improve that trait (like a few I have seen), then I'd keep a "fantastic comb" bird. Let me say that I find that the superior Buckeye cocks I have seen will have a little touch of green in the wing bows (just my observation). A "little tall" standing comb means different things to different folks-- what you might consider "tall," I might think is right & vice versa-- I'd have to see it.

I would keep an inferior bird (trait wise) for the sake of having more genetic diversity. You will typically find that a particular Sire is producing all the best offspring. If you keep all the best, then it will not include any from the other Sire(s) & you end up losing down the stretch because you selected only the best instead of keeping some from different genetic pools (and the genetic diversity of your flock decreases).

Am I making sense to you?

Chris​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom