Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am loving the read here, and even though I haven't read it all yet, I want some eggs to throw into my incubator. Any of you with eggs available within the next week or 3, please shoot me a pm.

Thanks,
Daniel

Getting 7 chicks out of 14 shipped eggs is a very respectable result indeed. Shipped eggs can be all over the map. I've bought 48 eggs and had 6 hatch, and bought 36 eggs and had 30 hatch. You just never know what sort of problems they were subjected to during shipping that could destroy the air cells.

I've seriously considered not selling hatching eggs any longer and just shipping chicks from now on. The USPS at least treats them well (mostly anyway)!

Well these buckeye eggs were extremely well packed. Now I'm up to 8/14, but one has crackly breathing, so I might be back down to 7 eventually. Do you think selling chicks would be more cost effective for you? Would your season be more limited? I guess folks would like to be sure they'll end up with live birds in the end. Do you sell both chicks and eggs right now? Seems like there are pros and cons for both types and for both seller and buyer. I'm just glad you and others are preserving the breed.
thumbsup.gif

Oh yes, I sell chicks, and (knock wood) only lost one so far this year (just heard about it this morning), out of over 450 sold this spring. Not too bad I'd say (and the one who didn't make it was a late hatcher that I put in the box anyway, so I wouldn't have one little lone chick left in the brooder by itself. I wasn't sure it would make it at all, but thought better to try.)

Pathfinders...here is the pic I owe you,
52686_front_complete.jpg

See, I do listen, screened window in the door and an added opening covered with rabbit wire holding a 12" fan for the added ventilation that you've suggested.
big_smile.png
Still open for additional suggestions

Jen,
Their first day out....
52686_first_day_out.jpg

Notice the little one, in the background on the left? We have named her tiny, she is literally half the size of the rest...but still very healthy
smile.png

You'all can go here to see the rest of the improvements...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=52686-buckeye-coop

take care,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom