Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Absolutely stunning!
love.gif

These Buckeyes have really grown on me. In downsizing I had them on the list to go. However, we have decided to keep a pen of them. Honestly, they are very friendly and chatter all the time. They free range, and when they see us come outside they run up to greet us. I gotta say, I really do like them. AND, they are laying!

Quote:
They really are outstanding birds aren't they? They have every attribute that a chicken should have, good egg laying, nice meat bird, great foragers, friendly. What else could a "farmer" ask for?

We added two more Buckeyes today....both Hens from Mosquito Beach. These are direct Dave Puthoff...aka BuckeyeDave....birds. So happy to have them. One was the roosters favorite and needs some time to get her feathers back. We will mate both to our Hercules, a cockerel and see what we get.

Quote:
My buckeyes, being young have been laying in sputter and spurts. One day getting only a couple of eggs and the next 7 or 8. They now seem to have settled in and I am getting anywhere from 6 to 8 a day. Right now, almost everything I own are in molt and they look like they have been caught in a tornado.

My Australope pullets are just starting to lay and are in the sputter and spurt stage, one egg today, two tommorrow, and five the next day. I have these pullets with a cuckoo maran roo. My wife is wanting this cross hopeing for the large egg size of the marans and the laying capacity of the Black Australopes. I hope she gets what she wants so she quits eyeing my other hatching eggs. I just want to know what the chicks will look like, I'm thinking a black bird with maybe a barred tail or barred wings. I also have my Australope roo with the cuckoo hens and a couple of blrw pullets. These mutts should be interesting to. I dont have a roo for my blrw's and will probably get rid of them in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom