Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your Buckeyes dont lay well then you need to get some stock from David Putoff I got to put a cork in my girls or they swamp me with eggs
wink.png

[My Buckeyes do not lay as well as my other heritage breeds. They lay well the first year, but not the next.

What "heritage breeds" are you comparing to?
(Still trying to learn the quote thing.)

Quote:

What "heritage breeds" are you comparing to? (Still trying to learn the quote thing.)

My Dorkings are much better layers than my Buckeyes. Sorry guys
idunno.gif
My Delawares are laying huge brown eggs every day, and they aren't even a year old. Time will tell if this will continue for years to come. My little mutt EE is not a heritage breed but she is OLD
old.gif
and still laying.

This might just be a case of buy only from breeders with strong egg laying traits.

Kim

capayvalleychick
Today 12:05 pm
Arielle wrote:

What "heritage breeds" are you comparing to? (Still trying to learn the quote thing.)
My Dorkings are much better layers than my Buckeyes. Sorry guys My Delawares are laying huge brown eggs every day, and they aren't even a year old. Time will tell if this will continue for years to come. My little mutt EE is not a heritage breed but she is OLD and still laying.

This might just be a case of buy only from breeders with strong egg laying traits.

Kim

I'm okay with not an egg a day if the hen is working for a living and foraging around our farm (and some feed as well of course). Is the dorking a forager like the buckeye?​

Quote:
I'm okay with not an egg a day if the hen is working for a living and foraging around our farm (and some feed as well of course). Is the dorking a forager like the buckeye?

They all forage well but all still need protein feed in addition to the greens etc. that they find on their own. They both like mice! You can email me to discuss the other breeds so it's not off topic.
smile.png

Kim

If your Buckeyes dont lay well then you need to get some stock from David Putoff I got to put a cork in my girls or they swamp me with eggs

I have an email to send him. Need DH to show me cut and paste! I'm also interested in finding out more on the Rhodes buckeyes as they are a local strain. Would like to call and visit Mr. Rhodes, but not with my cold.​

I love my birds from him there outstanding. We had a very bad snow storm. my coops are built with little ventilation sides that have wood inserts to close them up for storms. the snow penetrated those vent holes filling my nest boxes with snow the drifts were aprox 5-7 feet and we had to shovel out there coops. None the less when we got it dug out and opened the nest box door there was beautiful buckeye eggs in a white pile of snow.
Who on earth can ask for a more dedicated breed.

Who on earth can ask for a more dedicated breed.

I'm definitely not looking for a wall flower. Many of the chickens are gorgeous eye candy, but I'm looking to decrease the grocery bill. We eat a ton of eggs. ANd sell afew, who's kidding here, sell a LOT of eggs. THe other characteristic of the buckeye is that it is supposed to have a much larger breast muscle than the other heritage breeds. I wouldn't expect it to match a cornish X. THe higher Dressing % would make the extra boys a yummy dinner. Has the buckeye maintained it's bigger breast meat size?​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom