Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
The difference would be if they are free ranged or not.

They will taste different than the broilers you buy in the store.

They have white meat sections and dark meat sections just like any chicken.

A Buckeye has darker dark meat and whiter white meat than your average chicken. We had Buckeye Sunday night, fried, and we had a neighbor over for the meal. She said the white meat tasted as rich as steak. Of course, the texture on these free ranged birds is different than your store bought chicken.

Quote:
I will be processing my cockerels in about 6-8 weeks. At what age is best? How old is to old? Different in what way? (ok, picture me drooling.....)

I don't really think there is a "too old" age. . . It's chicken either way. (I'm probably not answering your question, though.)

Last edited:
Quote:
I will be processing my cockerels in about 6-8 weeks. At what age is best? How old is to old? Different in what way? (ok, picture me drooling.....)

I don't really think there is a "too old" age. . . It's chicken either way. (I'm probably not answering your question, though.)

How about- at what age are they only good for stewing?

This is pic of my flock Roo, he is going through molt so his tail is looking pretty ragged:

52686_imgp6844.jpg

Here are some of his pullets born in April:

52686_imgp6843.jpg

Quote:
Go thu the read if you can, there's a lot of good info. in here. The ABPC club yahoo site has a copy of the standard, if you can check there and download it (can try to send it to you, PM me).
Mitch

Thanks, I'm reading the thread. I'm on page 14 or 15. If you could PM me the ABPC copy then that would be great! And in all the different strains there are the ones that were bred to look more like RIR's? I'd like to avoid that. Which strains have the original Buckeye look?

Here is the link to the Standard for Buckeyes (please note we asked for and were given permission from the APA to post it in the club group):

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/0BVxTg...GJ4Opo9YADM6DUz3A/APA Standard large fowl.pdf

Quote:
Thanks, I'm reading the thread. I'm on page 14 or 15. If you could PM me the ABPC copy then that would be great! And in all the different strains there are the ones that were bred to look more like RIR's? I'd like to avoid that. Which strains have the original Buckeye look?

Here is the link to the Standard for Buckeyes (please note we asked for and were given permission from the APA to post it in the club group):

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/0BVxTg...GJ4Opo9YADM6DUz3A/APA Standard large fowl.pdf

Link is not working for me........

Thank you. I was able to print o copy and it is know in my chicken notebook. Query- The Standard mentions disqualifications and a white feather. Where could I find the rest of the disqualifications?
ginny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom