Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great Job! Great Looking birds! Congrats to your Daughter and Birds!

Quote:
Thanks guys, my daughter really likes these little guys. I'm an aseel person myself, but I'm finding that breeding buckeyes is VERY similar breeding aseels.
Again, thanks for your kind words and best of luck with your fowl.​

The judges are looking them over seriously, and that can only benefit the breed.

I've noticed that many judges, judge the buckeyes like RIRs. This past week, Sydney's pullets were not judged correctly. After the show was over, the judge came to me and told me that he didn't know as much about buckeyes as he thought he did and that he judged Sydney's birds incorrectly. Sydney should have ended up with RB/RV along with what she recieved with the male. I'm also noticing inconsistancies when judging body structures as they are associated with RIRs. IMO​

Buckeye pullet.

63711_7_009.jpg

Quote:
I've noticed that many judges, judge the buckeyes like RIRs. This past week, Sydney's pullets were not judged correctly. After the show was over, the judge came to me and told me that he didn't know as much about buckeyes as he thought he did and that he judged Sydney's birds incorrectly. Sydney should have ended up with RB/RV along with what she recieved with the male. I'm also noticing inconsistancies when judging body structures as they are associated with RIRs. IMO

I entered a young buckeye pullet in this year's fair.
I was absent when the judges past through.
The bird was 4 1/2 mo old, and still had a small orangey-comb of a young pullet.
The judge "dismissed" the bird, and wrote on the cage card "Comb?????????"
And someone there said the judge acted as if the pullet should have had a SC !!!!!!!!
I was mad.
But the judge was long gone by then.
Buckeyes are NOT RIR!!!!!!!!

I had the opportunity to see what Sand Hill is sending out today, and I was very disappointed. I actually got see about a dozen "buckeyes" roughly 6 months old. Wrong combs, heads, colors, pretty much everything. It looked like they were crossed with Malay. Long legs, small bodies, tight plummage. It's sad they charge so much for these birds and are completely wrong.

I will NEVER order from them again.
I had their so called Rhode island Whites...........AWFUL BIRDS!!!!!!!! wrong eveything, and to top it off, only 1 hen out of 4 laid, the rest either never laid or they laid a shell-less egg on the poop tray at night.
The cock bird was nasty mean, and would not stop attacking..even after you repeatedly smacked him with a shovel just to try to get out of the pen.
The hens were so mean they would jump & try to spur us as well.
The hens killed several other birds that were in the pen, as well as several chicks that got into their pen by accident.
Nasty mean!
I ordered Buckeyes from Sandhill over a year ago, and after 8 mo & 3 mo after the delivery date, repeated e-mails and phone messages I left begging to know when the date was to deleiver the chicks..they finally answered the phone & told me they had lost almsot all their Buck flock to Owls, skunks & possums and could not fill my order of 25 chicks.
I wonder how long they were going to go on before they actually answered my messgaes & paid me back?
They cashed my check in early Dec of 2010, delivery #1 was April, next were 2 days in June..time just went by, with no response from them.
Not very responsible people if you ask me.
Poor stock to say again.
Never again!
I have many friends here that say the same thing.
They do not show their birds either, not in show competition nor in the catalog.
I am editing to add, for the benefit of the doubt: That they may have some nice birds.
There are people who love their Sandhill birds, and my experience is what made my opinion.
Poor quality birds & poor 'service'.
I had brooding pens ready on every delivery date, all 4 dates no chicks arrived, and 2 months after the last "possible delivery date" I finally got through on the phone to them.
How long were they gonna waite to call me and refund?
Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom