Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, the top picture is Jason's bird. I thought there was a very nice american class as a whole, but the judge told me that he was really disappointed and that the class was poor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
That comment should "bother" anybody. Did you happen to ask him what color is judged for? In other words, did he judge according to the SOP or what he thought it should be?

I'm sorry - ok, no I'm not - while I'm not one who likes to make a fuss about stuff, if I had a judge tell me he was judging according to some preference other than the SOP, I'd have to make a formal complaint. The Standard is called a "Standard" for a reason. Don't like it? Then change it! But until it's changed it ought to be followed. There's already plenty of subjective room for judging in any breed but straying from a specific standard, and even worse saying the SOP is wrong, is just too far over the line for me. I don't know from memory what all it takes in order to be qualified as a judge but something tells me I read in the SOP and APA yearbook that this is way out of line.

Ok, climbing down from my soapbox now...

God Bless,

Tailfeathers, I was told that the color should not be red, but a lighter brown color. I told him that the standard calls for a color similar to the buckeye nut color (and that is exactly what it says), I was told that was wrong. I beleive the specifically calls for a RED color. Heck, once apon a time, they were called the "Buckeye Reds". I'm considering writing something, regarding what the judge said; that the standard was incorrect.

At the end of the day, a buckeye ended up on champion row. Jason's bird was in good feather condition. The color was very uniform and the bird looked nice. From my brief interactions with him, he is a really nice guy and he was happy to do so well. I think he told me that was his first time doing that well ata large show. It's his day and I'm happy for him. He did a great job raising a very pretty bird that was in great health.

Another buckeye on champion row:D...that's more exposure for the breed:D....that's great for the breed and good for everybody that raises them.
big_smile.png
I hope someone else that has a pic will get on here and submit a better picture of his bird than what I posted. The one I posted probably isn't the best pic, but it was the only one I have.

Last edited:
Maybe it was the same one who shook a finger at me & told me that RIWs come in both s/c and r/c.
I didn't argue, but gave up & walked away..you cannot argue, and that alone is upsetting, after so many people & judges told me they ONLY come in rose comb...
barnie.gif

There really needs to be a way to deal with improper SOP issues AT THE TIME OF the show..without denting the judges ego..can that ever happen?
How on earth can they ever be enlightened & learn unless we educate them?
I had a judge dismiss my buckeye pullet at the Fair last summer as having the wrong comb!!!!!!!!
She has a perfect comb, she is a perfect pullet!!
he.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
That comment should "bother" anybody. Did you happen to ask him what color is judged for? In other words, did he judge according to the SOP or what he thought it should be?

I'm sorry - ok, no I'm not - while I'm not one who likes to make a fuss about stuff, if I had a judge tell me he was judging according to some preference other than the SOP, I'd have to make a formal complaint. The Standard is called a "Standard" for a reason. Don't like it? Then change it! But until it's changed it ought to be followed. There's already plenty of subjective room for judging in any breed but straying from a specific standard, and even worse saying the SOP is wrong, is just too far over the line for me. I don't know from memory what all it takes in order to be qualified as a judge but something tells me I read in the SOP and APA yearbook that this is way out of line.

Ok, climbing down from my soapbox now...

God Bless,

I'll bet the judge judged the bird to a SOP of RIR, that is what they did to the RIW...the judge I had said "this is just a white version of the RIR"
I walked away.
he.gif

That 'judge' needs to be not judging until they can answer a thorough oral and written test on the SOP.
smack.gif

Jim is right, the standard is always right, til it is officially changed and then its still right !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom