Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jake Levi on Anatolians: Incredible dogs, you really need to see them in their villages to fully appreciate them.

I bet that really is interesting & if you have the time, I'd love to hear more detail. I have just a mutt dog (and a red bone hound mix) & now also a Jenny in the pasture but have thought about getting an Anatolian because of the roaming coyote packs. I noticed that the Anatolians here are selling for $800 & up (which is somewhat prohibitive). Unless my 70 lb mutt & jenny fail, I'll probably just stick with them. The other thing I wondered about an Anatolian, is: do they require a bigger place/ room than my 6.5 acres?

My mutt and hound want to come in sometimes but the one time I let them stay in, the coyotes took a full grown goose (from a group of eight). It was night so the Buckeye flock was in their coops and the Guineas in the trees so only the geese were out in their barn (they've got their own).

Chris​

Jim, LOL.

Jake, I adore my Anatolian. He's just the very best dog. He's loving and gentle to the family, but protects us and his goaties with a passion. He's killed numerous predators in their pasture, including several foxes and even skunks. So hard to pat and praise him when he's all stinky and wiggling with proudness! I figure it's the least I can do though.

One time someone dumped an unwanted Nigerian buck goat into our goat pasture, assuming we'd want it (at this point all we have left from our herd is two Alpine wethers, no use for a buck!) The poor Anatolian didn't know what to do. The buck was chasing the wethers around trying to breed them, and the Anatolian was torn between being nice to a goat, and protecting his boys. We went up, my husband roped the buck and dragged him out of the pen and tied him to a tree. We found his owner and called them to come get him. They said "Well, if you don't want him, just shoot him then, we don't want him any more." I was less than pleased by that answer (why should I do their dirty work?) and wound up taking the goat back to them and we didn't see him again, thank goodness.

Two of our four dogs are rescues/strays. One was dumped at the end of our driveway as a teeny pup. He was about five pounds, a bag of bones, and covered in flea bites, but he had a collar on! Now he's a Terrible Terrier, and we adore him. We think he's part Pit and part JRT, but our vet just calls him a Feist (which is Southern for "terrier dog of indeterminate origin.")
wink.png

The other stray was dumped at the local car repair shop with another pup. My daughter would drive by every day and see them there, roaming around, right by the road. One day one of them was missing. DH and I were up there several days later, talking to the guy who runs the place about a repair to the truck, and somehow the other pup wound up in the car on my lap and came home with us. Not sure how that happened.

big_smile.png

But at this point we're at critical mass with canines, and four is plenty. I swear we spend more on animal food than people food! Between the horses, goats, dogs, cats, and chickens, it's a lot. But I wouldn't trade it for anything...

Chris LGDs are very effective in guarding not only livestock but also homes. Israel has a real need for this so a friend in Israel asked if I would be interested in going to Turkey with him and I did, we went to Constantinople first,then to Anatolia with a contact he had there, we spent 3 days, visiting villages and breeders and saw a whole range of great looking Anatolians to plain mutts. We did find 4 to bring back to Israel, 3 under a year and one bred female. It was an interesting trip, although depressing at times to see how dogs and livestock had to survive. But, it was survival of the fittest in action and the dogs we brought back were excellent specimens of LGDs. I have had a strong bias towards them ever since, I can certainly see getting one, or two.

Of all the dogs we saw one of my best memories is of an old male, who was the shadow for a little todler, wherever she went he was. And there was no mistaking what he knew his function in life was. That has stuck with me. I think they are great dogs.

I was in Israel at the time training protection dogs for security patrols in Samaria.

Last edited:
Chris LGDs are very effective in guarding not only livestock but also homes. Israel has a real need for this so a friend in Israel asked if I would be interested in going to Turkey with him and I did, we went to Constaninople first, to Anatolia with a contact he had there, we spent 3 days, visiting villages and breeders and saw a whole range of great looking Anatolians to plain mutts. We did find 4 to bring back to Israel, 3 under a year and one bred female. It was an interesting trip, although depressing at times to see how dogs and livestock had to survive. But, it was survival of the fittest in action and the dogs we brought back were excellent specimens of LGDs. I have had a strong bias towards them ever since, I can certainly see getting one, or two.

Of all the dogs we saw one of my best memories is of an old male, who was the shadow for a little todler, wherever she went he was. And there was no mistaking what he knew his function in life was. That has stuck with me. I think they are great dogs.

I was in Israel at the time training protection dogs for security patrols in Samaria.

Very interesting story. Thank you for sharing.​

Quote:
Since my understanding of the original invite is that it's a social get together rather than a formal business meeting, what about instead of meeting at a restaurant, reserve a room somewhere where you could offer finger foods and snacks; a casual potluck reception rather than a sit down meal? If no one person or groups or club is picking up the tab, no one is "in charge" and the emphasis would be to keep the conversation light and informal.

Quote:
Since my understanding of the original invite is that it's a social get together rather than a formal business meeting, what about instead of meeting at a restaurant, reserve a room somewhere where you could offer finger foods and snacks; a casual potluck reception rather than a sit down meal? If no one person or groups or club is picking up the tab, no one is "in charge" and the emphasis would be to keep the conversation light and informal.

That would work too! I am eminently flexible about this. It's not a formal meeting of any sort, just a chance for chicken people to get together and meet each other and talk positively about Buckeyes (and other stuff, of course!)

Quote:
Okay, here's an idea for an agenda: since it's supposed to be informal, why not set the one rule for this meeting as "No Chickens. Not a peep out of anyone about history, or shows, or judges, or breed clubs, or preservation, or type, or color, or eggs...
Make this strictly a meet and greet; talk about your families, your car, the weather, the traffic; the point is to find some common ground that does not involve the main (wish)bone of contention. No one is right or wrong, you're just showing off pictures of the kids and grandkids, talking about the family pet, hell, talk about a TeeVee show if that's neutral enough.

You know, like:
Jeff "So, Laura, who do you favor in the finale of dancing with the Stars?"
Laura "That's a tough question, Martinez is the odds on favorite, but recently twisted ankle his ankle, and it's already impacted his performances so i've haven't picked a favorite. What about you?"

And the next thing you know, you're both doubled up with laughter reminiscing about that episode of I Love Lucy where she's frantically stuffing candy in her mouth.

There. See how easy it is?
wink.png

I like this picture because the sun is on part of the bird and shade on the remaining. I hatched this cockerel in mid-April, 2011 and weighed him the other day.
He was 8 lbs 6 oz:
DSC00009-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys! I need to butt in to this thread, as I have come into possession of a pair of unwanted bantam Buckeyes, and I need help finding them a new home. These birds were left at the Ohio Nationals, probably abandoned by a seller who couldn't unload them. There were a couple of other birds there that seemed like they came from the same guy. I took them home at three in the afternoon, after tear-down, so rest assured that nobody is looking for them. If you come across somebody who is, tell him that I need to speak with him regarding his birds' condidtion! They have suffered frostbite on their feet, and the female has difficulty getting around. They are both friendly and healthy, though, and I think they would make great pets. I don't know if I can drive down to Cincinnatti to deliver during your get-together, but if someone is passing through on his way down there, I'd love to contribute a couple of pets!
31816_img_2947.jpg

Quote:
Poor dears! I have gotten out of Buckeye bantams at this point, and torn down the pens we were using for them. I hope someone else in the area can take them. Where are you located?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom