Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fun, huh?

Now what if I told you this was from a "buckeye egg" marked as to the line of buckeye? Seems there may have been a bit of something else somewhere else, eh?

The point is, no matter whether you're buying day-old chicks or hatching eggs, be sure of your source! Ask for references, and follow up on those references! Ebay (NOT where this egg came from) can be an easy way for folks to "hide" and cash in on the "rare heritage" breeds.

Needless to say -- this guy is going off our farm. I've placed him with a "little old lady" friend of mine with a barnyard mix of layers.

Faverolles have full beards. That chick doesn't
wink.png

If the chick has absolutely no Buckeye in it, the question is, what does the owner have?

Honestly I think it's a Dorking cross of sorts. Color fits, clean face and comb fits, five toes fit, - However if the bird has five toes on both feet, chances are this chick is well beyond just a F1 hybrid, as many five toed x four toed chicks end up with 9 toes total, not 10.

Does the owner have Icelandics? I don't see why it would be part Icelandic if not.
idunno.gif

We had a Game rooster that crossed with a buckeye with very similar results in color but not toe or tuft. He grew out to be a breath-takingly beautiful cockerel of gi-normous size. Just think, buckeye legs and a Game breast. We nearly ate him but found a home for him instead (in Florida).

Last edited:
Janet I think the only way to find out is to contact the egg seller & see.
Bet you were surprised when he hatched !
But curiosity is so strong....he is beautiful.
I am still saying salmon fav...beard or not.
If crossed with a buckeye or whatever he is crossed with / may or may not have a beard.
I have crossed Ams with various brown egg layers for OEs and some have full beeards & some have none.
So much fun!

Fun, huh?

Now what if I told you this was from a "buckeye egg" marked as to the line of buckeye? Seems there may have been a bit of something else somewhere else, eh?

Ha Sounds like some bird was creeping around where he didn't belong. That hussy hen straying with an unknown suitor
gig.gif

I know it bad to not get what you ordered, but he sure is a cute little guy. Glad you found him a home.

I have crossed Ams with various brown egg layers for OEs and some have full beeards & some have none.
So much fun!

That's a cluing that your Am's were not homozygous for beards. It's common sadly. My first Ameraucana based OE's also turned out either partially bearded or clean-faced.

Well, we've been calling him Five-Toed Louie. I posted these pics on the Buckeye Club facebook page, and the breeder came clean. Seems there was a Silkie rooster running around loose that may have "jumped the fence" for some lovin'.

Unfortunately, caveat emptor is never more important than in poultry!

I wasn't sure at first what was going on but after reading this page, now I know. Glad to see, Janet, that the mystery is solved and the breeder "came clean".

I have an upper coop and a lower coop that are at least a couple hundred yards apart and I've witnessed the cockerels in the lower coop making their way up to the upper coop. All my males up here are in separate pens so the lower males evidently have found they're free to roam. Anyways, all this is to say that is why I use completely enclosed breeding pens. Unless a hen backs up to the chicken wire and a rooster lays down on his side just right, there ain't gonna be any "fence jumpin'" here!

Individual breeding pens work great and the peace of mind I get by knowing there ain't gonna be any "accidents" is well worth it. Plus it makes for rotating birds a lot easier - especially if you keep one for cocks only that can be pulled and put on hens as needed. God willing, I want to build a whole new set up this year that will consist of about 8 separate pens all together and under one roof. Hopefully the finances come that will let me do it.

God Bless,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom