Buckeyes in Idaho

fishnchix

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 20, 2011
One barred rock (Alma,) one buff orpington (Princess, from my first hatch,) 2 big white birds that are not the leghorns I thought I was getting (The Twins) - a straight run pair of birds from a batch I got for a quarter the day after Easter last year, one of whom is a nice broody, hen (Momma) and the other of which can still fly over 6 foot fences with clipped wings (Flighty Whitey.) My laying flock, tended by my spare Buckeye Rooster. Then I have my Buckeye flock: A really fine rooster and 10 very nice hens, one of whom has gone broody! From that flock I have babies: 4 at two months, 4 at one months, and 16 that range from 1 to 3 weeks. 12 eggs under the broody Buckeye, 8 under Momma (one pipped yesterday!) and then about 3 dozen in incubators due to start hatching tomorrow.
I live in South-Central Idaho, have farmland west of here we hope to develop this summer. I have been married for 31 years, to the same guy, even. We have 2 kids, a kid-in-law and a grandkid. Grandkid number 2 is due in weeks. I have the incredible joy of being granny-nanny to these babies, and my 2 year old assistant chicken rancher can catch a loose hen and toss her back in the pen area. (They get to free range most of the day, but there are predators here and they have to be penned up when I am gone.)
Then there are the fish... Blue tilapia. They are in the breeding tank now. I put on the Enya, the Barry White... Nothing so far. But one day I hope to be a fish farmer along with chicken rancher. So far, I am just a fish feeder...
Aquaponics. I say a lot, but if you want to hear me say something that can change your life, that is it. Aquaponics.

Last edited:
Hi, Hello &
welcome-byc.gif
from Minnesota

So nice to meet you! Glad you decided to join. You're gonna like this place...
big_smile.png
Lots of friendly people, information that covers practically every aspect of backyard poultry, and several folks who play the role of "comedy relief" *you know who you are...*
smile.png
Pull up a chair and stay a while...

Back
Top Bottom