Buckeyes

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by judikins, Apr 3, 2012.

1. judikins

judikins Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2010
    Wondering just what sort of chicken this is. A good layer? color? any comments greatly appreciated...am ordering chix soon..thanks..Judi

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    No picture showing up... :-(

LOL, whoops, guess I should read the title as part of the question. I can't tell you a whole lot about Buckeyes other than they are lovely birds and are on the breed conservation list.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  3. wackyChris16

wackyChris16 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    The Buckeye breed was developed in the late 1800's by a woman named Ms. Nettie Metcalf. In fact, this is the only breed in the US developed by a woman.
    It originated in Ohio and was named after the 'Buckeye' tree because the coloring on this breed is a deep mahogany like the buckeye nut. Buckeye's are a vigorous breed, excellent foragers and they lay well. I've read that the cocks fill out nicely for meat (though, being a heritage breed, the cocks take a little longer to fill out enough to eat).
    The Buckeye is a semi-broody breed, not too broody, but broody enough to hatch out some chicks each year.
    If your ordering Buckeye chicks, I'd suggest you check out the Buckeye breed thread, there is a lot of experienced Buckeye breeders that you can learn from about this wonderful breed. :)

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    The are beautiful birds. :thumbsup

5. we have one we're raising to kill

slow maturey, pretty (i guess), but im hoping for wonderful meat [​IMG]

6. gardenjunkie

gardenjunkie New Egg

Apr 13, 2012
    We have two little buckeyes about 6 weeks old. I love them. They are beautiful, come out to greet when I go to the coop. I think they're a great choice for chickens!

7. jldaniel33

jldaniel33 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2011
    Ellensburg
    How are your buckeyes doing? I have 6 month olds. Any broody hens? Are you raising chicks?

8. Barred4Life

Barred4Life Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Can I ask you guys how you differentiate the RIR from the Buckeye? I thought I had rosecomb RIR, but I'm being told they look more like Buckeye? If they are Buckeye, then what I can say is that they are very beautiful!! Rich colour! They have a 'wet' look to their feathers, hehe, I find that pretty snazy! They are the first one out the coop ALL THE TIME!! They run a lot (way more then my Barred Rocks), go after mice and little birds, and bugs obviously. Mine are only 18 weeks, so haven't gotten to the laying part yet, but they are a bit smaller then average size, so that gives me the impression they will be good layers :) I definitly want to hatch some eggs out and get more of them. Love the breed!
    Would this be a Buckeye? If not then I just gave you feedback on a RIR, lol!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Marengoite

Marengoite Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    These are Buckeyes. RIRs have single combs. These are pea-combed birds.

10. JoshU

JoshU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Ada, Ohio
    Thats a buckeye cockerel. No eggs from him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by