Buff Barred Cochin Thread

Buff Barred boys CC & Carl out for an evening stroll
smile.png

& one of Sparky's boys
So, so, soooooo pretty! You make me more than excited about breeding season.

Are you breeding in any other bloodlines besides the new ones from Tom or do all your bloodlines so far come from one place? I might need more to work with next year.
wink.png

I know next to nothing about breeding buff barred birds.
However, I worked with Golden Cuckoos for a few years and thought mine looked better than most out there. Obviously others did, too, as I was bought out completely and no longer breed them. I do have some foundation hens and a new roo though......
I think they were far easier than this breeding program though. It took me 2 years and I had glorious Marans. I am betting these Cochins may be a bit more challenging for me. We shall see.....
I seriously need to get out my Book Of Colors and study it. When I get time.

I just looked it up. It belongs to Running Horse Farm in Upper Marlboro, Maryland. This is one is single factor barred, correct? I think both the single and the double barred are both gorgeous! Do you know what other breeds come in the Buff Barred variety?
Orpingtons, although breeders call it lemon cuckoo

Beautiful! I see that Sparky has no black leaking through but his son does on his tail. Will this molt out or take another generation? Remember, I know rabbit color genetics, but am just learning chicken genes so please bear with my questions.
hide.gif
The rules shouldn't be too far off, just different wording, right?
Sparky does have a little bit of smut (is that the correct term? That's what we call it in Buff Silkies) and both of his ladies have a little bit too. I believe adding the Buffs will help clear it up in the next generations.

So, so, soooooo pretty! You make me more than excited about breeding season.

Are you breeding in any other bloodlines besides the new ones from Tom or do all your bloodlines so far come from one place? I might need more to work with next year.
wink.png
Thanks Amy :)
My first chicks came from Dave Schwartz and Danny. Then I added the trio from Lynne and another cockerel from Dave (hatching eggs). Now I have the Buffs from Tom. So I'm starting with birds from 4 different breeders.

Oh, Nancy! That sounds fantastic! Great plan and I am sure it will give you such great diversity! I am sure I will need some of yours next year.
wee.gif

I hope someone guides me in the right direction! I know it will be a while before I get everything in place but I had planned to breed for the darker barred birds. I thought that would be the color we were looking for but it may be only because my Golden Cuckoo Marans were so dark that I am thinking that way.

You ask great questions. Keep them coming. It is good to make people think.

Back
Top Bottom