Buff Braham Chicks

Scott103

Hatching
8 Years
May 4, 2011
We have 7 buff braham chicks that are around 7-8 weeks old. I am new to chickens but have been learning alot from this site. I am trying to figure out what we have as far as pullets or roos. I have read on here about pullets growing tail feathers quicker and I know about the combs. Going by that theory I thought we had 5 pullets and 2 roos because of the tail feathers. Two of them didn't have a tail but the other 5 did. Now those two are getting their tail feathers but as far as a comb goes they all look the same. I don't know if I am missing something or what! Is there a sure fire way to tell? I will post some pics when I have enough posts. Thanks for any help!!

Hi,
welcome-byc.gif

It's really easy to just go welcome some more new members, ask more questions, offer some comments or advice. It shouldn't take too long and it will actually be fun!

When you are ready to post pics, go to the uploads button in the blue bar above, it's the simplest way- for me, anyway.

welcome-byc.gif

I look forward to seeing your pics. Brahmas are my favorite.
love.gif

I can tell you from my own experience that by about 9 weeks the cockerels should make themselves known by the much redder combs.

Yeaaahhh! More Buff's ~ I want to see what they look like. If I was to get more chickens I was considering the Buff Brahams. Welcome
yippiechickie.gif

I'm still working up to my required posts too. You may want to upload your pictures and put them on your BYC page. That way you can direct people there until you have enough posts.

I have 3 buff brahma chicks all the same age as my other chicks. Was supposed to have 2 pullets and a roo, but the hatchery switched it to 2 roos and a pullet.
roll.png
My roos have had pretty good orangey red pea combs since they were 4 weeks. Today 1 of the roos tried to take over the head roo position from our black copper maran who has been crowing for 10 days. The pullet chick is 7 weeks now, and doesn't have much of a comb.

I had 3 light Brahmas that were all supposed to be hens. They are about 11 weeks old. I sold one the other day. The one I sold was the biggest and had a long tail. The other two are smaller and no black tail feathers yet. The people who took the one, want hens only. I hope it was INDEED a hen! It was the easiest to catch, so that is the one they got....

Back
Top Bottom