Buff has a broken toe...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KenyonFam4, Jun 26, 2011.

1. KenyonFam4

KenyonFam4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    I am a little scared because this is the first injury/problem we have had with any of our chickens. They are just over 4 months old...so anyways her middle toe is broken right in the middle joint I guess it would be...its really crooked and sideways. She is limping when shes walking, keeps it off the ground when shes standing, and spends quite a bit of time laying in the coop. I put some of my sister in laws home made salve on it and wrapped it with a bandaid hoping that would help...it looks like it was an open sore at one point because its crusty and kind of yellow and puffy. I just dont know what to do about it...any suggestions?

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I have had a few chickens with broken toes.

could you please post a picture?
    when did this happen?
    depending on when it happened you could splint it. [​IMG]

3. KenyonFam4

KenyonFam4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Quote:I have tried to post pics on here but I cant figure it out lol. I have been watching her for a few days and shes not limping anymore..seems to be doing better. My sister in law makes home made salve so I put some of that on it and a bandaid over it and left it there for a couple days...and it looks better...still swollen and very crooked but as long as shes not limping anymore, im guessing it will be okay...if someone can explain how to upload pics and add them, I will post a pic.

EDIT!!! I figured out the photo thing I think haha...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  4. Roberts2100

Roberts2100 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2012
    Madison, AL
    I have a rooster with a broken side toe.But it doesn't seem to bother him. I need help too. What should I do?

5. larsonll

larsonll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    West Georgia
    My OE game hen has a broken toe (healed) for over a year and she is fine. Watch for infection until it heals, but they are very adaptable and will do fine with a healed broken toe!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by