Buff Laced Wyandottes?

Bleenie

Wyan-DO's
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
The Beautiful Pacific NW ,WA
I was looking for some photos online and only came across a few, all of which were from the UK.

I hatched this lovely Buff Laced (with some light splash flecks) Roo from my wyadottes and am thinking of trying to breed him to some hens to hopefully get more like him, I LOVE the coloring... I have no idea where to start though. I do have 3 Buff hens and some other colors(all wyandottes) but don't know where to start.

This boy is the product of BLRSplash x Buff Wyandotte.
GEDC1301.JPG

Last edited:
So, he's a Blue Laced Red, just minus the mahogany.
wink.png

Buff Laced actually is just Gold Laced with Dominant White. No "buff" required, really. There are white Wyandottes, so I'd say go with Gold Laced and White and keep working from there.

Blue Laced Red wouldn't be a great option because there's always the mahogany gene in the way and the confusion of splash or light blues being a good white lacing.

I have a quad of Gold Laced.. The roo is kind of a jerk though, would it still work with a White Roo over Gold Laced hens?

I was looking for some Whites a while ago and couldn't find any around here, maybe I will just order some in the spring. I would have more Buffs but apparently they're hard to hatch or the hatchery I was ordering from sucks, they didn't hatch any of theirs both times i ordered them.
sad.png

Remember though the most important thing - Type before color.
wink.png
If you want to make Buff Laced Wyandottes, use parents with correct type and weight (not hatchery birds) and make sure the resulting product has the correct type and weight, too.
smile.png

The roo I have now (GL) definitely weighs enough! lol. I will have to check here on BYC for Wyandotte breeders and see about eggs. I've never done a breeding project before so I will be doing a lot of reading up on the breed before i decide for sure.

Quote:
This can't be emphasised enough. At the risk of offending the bird you pictured is very un-Wyandotte like in type.

No offense taken, his momma came from a hatchery so I am sure they're not the best either. I also think the father is a little underweight for a wyandotte but it could just be because he's molting right now.

Quote:
This can't be emphasised enough. At the risk of offending the bird you pictured is very un-Wyandotte like in type.

If I bred the SplashBLR roo back to the Buff hens, I could possibly get more chicks like the roo in the picture, but does anyone know if it is a sex linked breeding or not? ..... Chickens are so confusing for me, probably why I have Muscovies, SO much easier to know what to breed for what, lol.

Back
Top Bottom