Buff Minorcas or Buff Orpingtons?

wasntme

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 7, 2013
Spring Hill, FL
I purchased one of these girls and got the second for free from a farm because they felt bad that none of my other girls liked her. She was a loner.
sad.png
Upon getting my second girl, they admitted that they got the Minorcas and Orpingtons mixed up and they don't know which I received. Can you please help identify Heidi and Buffy? They are about 20 weeks old, I believe. Are they Orps or Minorcas? Thank you!!!

White earlobes = Mincoras. Plus, they are lighter bodied with the longer, upright tail of a mincora. Orpingtons are rounded and fluffy, not long and lean like these ladies.

Both are Buff Minorcas. Minorcas have white earlobes, longer/thinner bodies, and lay white eggs. Orpingtons have red earlobes, deeper/more rounded bodies, and lay brown eggs. Minorcas will usually also develop larger combs and wattles than Orpingtons.

White earlobes = Mincoras. Plus, they are lighter bodied with the longer, upright tail of a mincora. Orpingtons are rounded and fluffy, not long and lean like these ladies.
x2

I used to have a Buff Minorca hen that was a loner, too. She was the only one.

Now I have 8 Buff Minorcas!!! They do love each other.

Last edited:
I'm so glad Heidi has a friend! It was sad to see her alone in a coop of her own all by herself. My JG's and Australorps would feather pick and make her bleed so I spared the extra expense to give her her own home!! Now she shares it with Buffy whom was in the same coop with her @ the farm I got her at - two bestest friends. lol I picked up Buffy about 3 weeks after I got heidi but they acted like they knew each other their whole lives. Maybe they did? lol She's happy now so that makes me happy. Well, I'm sure you all know how that goes. I love my girls!

Back
Top Bottom