buff momma

Buff Momma

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 10, 2013
Oroville CA
I am new at raising my own chickens I grew up around them butt was never taught what I need to know. I have 4 hens and a roo he is my buddy he crows every time he sees me he greets me when I come home from work no matter the time he crows for me. I love my buff orppingtons. I do have a question my hens want to all lay in the same box so I don't know who has laid what it has gotten to a point to were I had to buy an incubator and the hen that is brooding won't let me remove anymore eggs how can I help them?

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Hens do that. If you had a dozen identical nest boxes, they would decide that only one or two are good enough for them. Either they wait in line for the present occupant to leave, or they climb on top of her and lay eggs. Sometimes 2-3 hens will cram themselves into one box because they believe that one box is the best.

You could try putting a golf ball or two in each of the nest boxes - then they think some other hen decided to lay eggs there.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! Have you got a broody hen sitting on eggs now?

Thank you for the warm welcome. I really love my chickens. Now my baby chicks are hatching the first one went great the second one died now the third one has stopped altogether has not moved for hours now someone told me to help it and open the shell. I am worried is this normal no sound from it. And when do I take the first baby out of the incubator?

Back
Top Bottom