1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

buff momma

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Buff Momma, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Buff Momma

Buff Momma New Egg

Nov 10, 2013
    Oroville CA
    I am new at raising my own chickens I grew up around them butt was never taught what I need to know. I have 4 hens and a roo he is my buddy he crows every time he sees me he greets me when I come home from work no matter the time he crows for me. I love my buff orppingtons. I do have a question my hens want to all lay in the same box so I don't know who has laid what it has gotten to a point to were I had to buy an incubator and the hen that is brooding won't let me remove anymore eggs how can I help them?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Hens do that. If you had a dozen identical nest boxes, they would decide that only one or two are good enough for them. Either they wait in line for the present occupant to leave, or they climb on top of her and lay eggs. Sometimes 2-3 hens will cram themselves into one box because they believe that one box is the best.

You could try putting a golf ball or two in each of the nest boxes - then they think some other hen decided to lay eggs there.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Have you got a broody hen sitting on eggs now?

1 person likes this.
  4. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    :welcome Glad to have you join us! I have 15 nest boxes, and my hens still insist on laying eggs in the same three boxes. Silly birds.

5. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Your lucky the use three, mine line up for one, it make gathering eggs easy there all in one spot ;)
    Welcome and enjoy BYC!
    Steve :frow

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

7. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

10. Buff Momma

Buff Momma New Egg

Nov 10, 2013
    Oroville CA
    Thank you for the warm welcome. I really love my chickens. Now my baby chicks are hatching the first one went great the second one died now the third one has stopped altogether has not moved for hours now someone told me to help it and open the shell. I am worried is this normal no sound from it. And when do I take the first baby out of the incubator?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by