Buff-O, Boy or Girl

MommaBee

Chirping
7 Years
May 25, 2012
Texas
We are newbies to the whole chicken game, we have a mixed batch of 7 chicks that are currently 4 weeks old. From what I can tell all are girls, but this Buff Orpington has us wondering. Can anyone tell? From what I have read this breed is hard to guess. She is much darker than I expected but other than 6 months of researching chickens online, I have nothing really to compare her/him to she is the only Buff-O in the bunch. I might try to have all the girls picture taken tomorrow just to see what everyone thinks but tonight this was the best pic we got. PS she is the first one to come up and greet us and she stayed in my husbands hands for a very very long time. Friendly breed or a Roo? Thanks for your input!
Buff

It is not much bigger than the Delaware or the Pymouth Rocks. But it seemed maybe a bit "pinker" to me? I will try to post another of its feet. Honestly they all seem huge for 4 weeks old! But like I said this is our first time.

Uh oh.... On my cockerel the legs were much bigger. Can you post the pictures of the orpington with your other chicks so we can compare?

fl.gif

on orphingtons just remenmber they are sometimes counted as giants and they are going to be bigger

i had one andshe was vey large and i thought she was a boy

every where i have read has said that the best way to sex them is to wait for them to either crow or lay an egg

~Tongiechick

on orphingtons just remenmber they are sometimes counted as giants and they are going to be bigger

i had one andshe was vey large and i thought she was a boy

every where i have read has said that the best way to sex them is to wait for them to either crow or lay an egg

~Tongiechick
Thanks Tongiechick! But this was from last year! And I'm happy to report that Laverne is a fantastic egg layer! Haha

Back
Top Bottom