Buff, or chocolate?

rondspub

Chirping
12 Years
Sep 18, 2008
I tried to add this to a previous post, but cannot figure out how to do it. So a new post it is.

It was explained to me that the previous keet that I thought might be a chocolate, was a buff. They do seem to look quite similar the first week of age, at least to my untrained eye. Now I had read on a Guinea website that a buff will feather out white on its wings, and a chocolate will feather brown. I had a keet hatch last week that I automatically assumed was buff, based off of the previous one. It was pretty much identical, except the browns were much darker. However unlike the previous buff keet, its wing feathers are coming in brown. Is it possible it's a chocolate, or is it another variation of buff?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 5567647F-A825-4B06-B6E1-F167FD25B57C.jpeg
    5567647F-A825-4B06-B6E1-F167FD25B57C.jpeg
    505 KB · Views: 13
  • DBEB5743-EECB-4D02-AFDB-49B4F270ECCA.jpeg
    DBEB5743-EECB-4D02-AFDB-49B4F270ECCA.jpeg
    420.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 4D1C5962-111E-4100-8E2F-703A91041106.jpeg
    4D1C5962-111E-4100-8E2F-703A91041106.jpeg
    410.5 KB · Views: 8
I tried to add this to a previous post, but cannot figure out how to do it. So a new post it is.

It was explained to me that the previous keet that I thought might be a chocolate, was a buff. They do seem to look quite similar the first week of age, at least to my untrained eye. Now I had read on a Guinea website that a buff will feather out white on its wings, and a chocolate will feather brown. I had a keet hatch last week that I automatically assumed was buff, based off of the previous one. It was pretty much identical, except the browns were much darker. However unlike the previous buff keet, its wing feathers are coming in brown. Is it possible it's a chocolate, or is it another variation of buff?

Thank you!
It looks like a Royal Purple to me.

@R2elk -from @ronspub pics,
For grins and giggles, wld you id all 4? Are those lavs in the back? And a buff or brown?

Attachments

• 20200828_094122.jpg
    20200828_094122.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 4
For grins and giggles, wld you id all 4? Are those lavs in the back? And a buff or brown?
Still far from an expert, but to the best of my knowledge the others that hatched were pearl grey, coral blue, and lavender.

It looks like a Royal Purple to me.
Ahhh. That would make a lot more sense than chocolate. I didn't even consider it being royal purple because of the Amount of white. Thank you again resident expert. Seriously though, I'm learning a lot from you and I really appreciate it! 😀

In my opinion, the two in the back that are visible enough to ID appear to be Lavenders. The one on the left in front looks like a Royal Purple and the one on the right in front appears to be a Brown.

In my opinion, the two in the back that are visible enough to ID appear to be Lavenders. The one on the left in front looks like a Royal Purple and the one on the right in front appears to be a Brown.
:celebrate I thought mb brown. The two in the back, I noticed the marking on top of one's head isn't as -sharp? Don't know if it matters or not but from pic, there is a slight diff.

Back
Top Bottom