Buff or not Buff! That is the question?

Mik

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 3, 2008
Please help! I popped to my friends house yesterday to go and see her newly hatched Buff Orpington chicks. She has had 3 out of the 12 eggs that she purchased as fertile Buff eggs hatch and they were so cute. I did notice though that they have a dark stripe by their eyes like Cleopatra and the lower half of their faces are paler in colour. I have looked on the net and all Buff chicks that I have seen are just pale Orange in colour. But these have some distinct dark markings running over their little bodies. Does anyone recognise the breed description?
I would up load a pickie but can't figure out how to do it:barnie

They sure don't sound like Buff Orpingtons!!
roll.png

Do they have fluffy down around their faces that make them look like they have chubby cheeks? Could be Easter Egg chicks. If they don't have the fluffy face thing going, maybe they're something else. What color are they?

They are mostly Buff in colour but they have a lighter Buff on the lower part of their cheaks and brown patches on their heads and down their backs. I also noticed they had almost a rainbow effect of colours on their eye lids, from pale Buff to Buff to brown? very pretty peeps! I just wanted to keep holding them and giving them a bit of chicken lovin.
Its a shame no more have hatched though, so she has only got the three. My friend has taken all the eggs from the hen now and cracked them to make sure that they were not fertile. She is a veternary Nurse and said to me this morning on the phone, that she has smelt some smells over the years, working with animals, but this took the biscuit, hands down.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom