buff orp bit by dog

ginger67

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
my 4mo. old buff orp got a small puncture site under her right wing. i wiped blood off and no further bleeding noted. doesnt appear to be very deep. chick a little shocky. was laying on side. i have her in my arms in atowel. giving her water w/electrolytes with syringe. her eyes are open and her breathing is ok. what should i treat the wound with. should i give her antibiotics
/

Please help....... She has clear fluid coming out of her beak now. I cleaned the wound with betadine/water and applied neosporin. I did give her water with a syringe earlier. She is just laying on her side in the cage. What should I do??

Sounds like you did all that you can do... Just make sure she has water and you can try giving her food.
The clear liquid coming from her mouth is probably just water because she is laying on her side. My chickens sometimes "spit up" like that when I pick them up after they were drinking.
Good luck with this!!!
hugs.gif
I think she will be okay by the sound of it. Maybe post pictures of the wound so we can see how bad it is.

Last edited:
Sad to report she didn't make it. I can't believe how much I cried. Now I am worried about her sister, they were so close.

I am very sorry to hear about your girl.
hugs.gif
I hope your remaining hen is not too lonely or that you can find a friend for her.

We had to modify our dogs yard last year because the chickens and guineas kept going in there. The dogs would then play with them and hurt them (they mauled one of my guineas severely and he lived). When a dog bite punctures the skin you have to be very careful.

Sorry I didn't find this sooner, but for future reference...

From LSU on dog and cat saliva:
"Over 130 disease-causing microbes have been isolated from dog and cat bite wounds.1 Animals’ saliva is also heavily contaminated with bacteria, so a bite may not even be necessary to cause infection; if you have a cut or scratch and allow a pet to lick it, you could be setting yourself up for trouble."

For any animal bite on your birds:
Thoroughly rinse the wound with water and then carefully wash with soap and water.
Follow this with an antiseptic such as iodine and then apply an antibiotic cream such as Neosporin.
If it is possible to bandage do so...if not then you could then spray with liquid bandage or wound kote.
Then isolate the bird to a hospital cage. If it is excessively hot or cold outside it may help to bring them inside to reduce stress from the heat.
I also offer some electrolytes in their water for at least the first 24 hours.

If you have an antibiotic such as Tylan or Oxytetracycline on hand, you could dose them with that too...just to be sure.

This will not always save the bird, but it has worked for me on even my most severe cases.

Good luck in the future.

thank you for the advice. I'm very new to raising chicks. 1 month now. My poor father in law accidentally let the dogs out. We keep the dogs in the house when the chicks are out. I will print out your advice but hope not to have to use it. This just broke my heart.

Back
Top Bottom