Buff Orp chicks, 2 weeks old, always wet...

psyverson

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 26, 2011
Raising my chicks with recent Pekin duck hatchlings... of course the ducks make a mess, play in their water etc...
which makes my chicks wet almost all the time. It is 90 out here in New Orleans, so I'm not worried about
temps, what else should I worry about... maybe fungus? I could separate them as I have a coop, a run and a shed.
Right now they are in the brooder.

Thoughts?

-Pete

I'd worry about their food getting moldy. Or chicks drowning in the ducks water if it was deep enough. Other than that I can't think of anything. TSC carries pressed wood pellets called equine fresh that would help. They are really absorbent and turn into sawdust when wet which my chicks and chickens love to dustbathe in.

I'd seperate them. It's not good for the chicks to be wet all the time. The ducks need a kiddy pool. Thats what I used and it worked great. I set in a hole as deep as the pool and put slate pieces and pavers around it.

Thanks... well, like I said, right now the ducks and chicks are both 2 weeks old, though the ducks are growing sooo fast.

I've got a run and a covered coop all set up, and the chicks are in my shed, so maybe it is time to separate them.
See how it works out.

Thanks,

Pete

Back
Top Bottom