Buff Orp not keeping up

Heywood

Hatching
Mar 28, 2020
Hey, I have 7, 2 week old chicks...3 Australorps,3 Barred Rocks and 1 Buff Orpington.. The Buff is not as active as the rest of the crew and isn't growing like the rest. She seems like she's squatting with her wings held slightly away from her body. She seems to be eating and drinking ok and does run over when I give them a little scrambled eggs. I don't see any diarrhea and her vent is clean. She is getting picked on a bit..could it be coccidiosis ? thanks for any help :)

Can you post some photos of your chick and her poop? (photos of your brooder and the other chicks too if you want - we LOVE chick photos LOL)

Where did they come from?
Have you noticed if the others are keeping her from food?

For a chick that seems weak or not growing well, I would give them 2-3 drops of poultry vitamins twice a day for 3-5 days. Poultry Cell or Poultry Nutri-Drench are my personal preference.

Can you post some photos of your chick and her poop? (photos of your brooder and the other chicks too if you want - we LOVE chick photos LOL)

Where did they come from?
Have you noticed if the others are keeping her from food?

For a chick that seems weak or not growing well, I would give them 2-3 drops of poultry vitamins twice a day for 3-5 days. Poultry Cell or Poultry Nutri-Drench are my personal preference.
Hey, Thanks so much for the reply...Got the chicks from a local feed store. They pick on her a little but she eats and drinks without a problem. She's not nearly as active and seems a bit wobbly sometimes. I hand feed them a little scrambles eggs sometimes and she does run over and get her share. She's been like that since I got her. When they huddle she's always on the bottom. Since I don't have her isolated I'm not sure about her poop but can't find any diarrhea. All the poop I see looks normal. Thanx again for the info !!

Attachments

• DSC_0016.JPG
    DSC_0016.JPG
    428.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0020.JPG
    DSC_0020.JPG
    285.6 KB · Views: 26
Your heat plate looks a bit high, it should almost touch their backs when they lie under it.
Good to set it at an angle so it's lower on one side for smaller chicks.
K...thanks ..i had it set much lower on an angle but just raised it a bunch because they were huddling in another corner for the last 2 nights and thought it might be too warm. They hang out on top of it occasionally. I have them in my DR where the temp is about 70. Gonna order Poultry Cell from Amazon..How do you give her the drops..On the bottle it says administer with a dose syringe or can I just mix it in with their water ?

Attachments

• DSC_0022.JPG
    DSC_0022.JPG
    341.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Cute chicks, I agree, the heat plate may need to be lowered, then place it on an angle. Maybe place something under the front legs to get a slope.

She's tiny, is she able to manage the crumbles o.k.? Sometimes you may need to crush the crumbles up smaller or even offer some wet feed until they get a little older.

The Poultry Cell, you can either give her one drop at a time or add it to the water per instructions on the bottle. None of my birds have ever seemed to like it in water, so I usually just direct dose them.

Cute chicks, I agree, the heat plate may need to be lowered, then place it on an angle. Maybe place something under the front legs to get a slope.

She's tiny, is she able to manage the crumbles o.k.? Sometimes you may need to crush the crumbles up smaller or even offer some wet feed until they get a little older.

The Poultry Cell, you can either give her one drop at a time or add it to the water per instructions on the bottle. None of my birds have ever seemed to like it in water, so I usually just direct dose them.
Thanks again for all the Help :) They're all back under the heat plate this morning !!..So,she seems to manage to eat the crumbles with no problem. So stupid question..How exactly do I give her the drop ? Please walk me through...TX !!

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the Help :) They're all back under the heat plate this morning !!..So,she seems to manage to eat the crumbles with no problem. So stupid question..How exactly do I give her the drop ? Please walk me through...TX !!
Glad they are doing good!

If you have any small syringes you can draw up a little bit, then drop a drop at a time beside her beak, the drop will sort of roll around the outside and she should take that in. It takes a little time and patience.
Another option is dip a qtip into your PND/vitamins, then press it to the beak - same concept, let the liquid sort of roll around and she should take it in.
Once you get the hang of it, works like a charm.

Another option is dip a qtip into your PND/vitamins, then press it to the beak - same concept, let the liquid sort of roll around and she should take it in.
This^^^ is how I do it.
Liquid will wick into mouth, sometimes stroke under 'chin' and in front of neck to stimulate them to swallow.

Beware squirting anything directly into their mouths, easy to 'drown' them.
Here's some tips about that:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Glad they are doing good!

If you have any small syringes you can draw up a little bit, then drop a drop at a time beside her beak, the drop will sort of roll around the outside and she should take that in. It takes a little time and patience.
Once you get the hang of it, works like a charm.
Great...I'll do the qtip method as I don't have any small syringes and my wife won't let me go to the store....ugh...I also ordered a bottle of Nutri-Drench to have on hand..I'll repost when I start the dosage and let you know how she's doing..Again, Thanx sooo much for all the help :)

Back
Top Bottom