Buff Orp over Various Hens

Kimmyk80

Songster
Jul 16, 2019
I am hatching some eggs from my flock and was curious as to what I will get. I have 10 eggs and was curious if the chicks’ characteristics (color, size, etc) can be determined by knowing the crosses. My roo is a Buff Orp and here are the hens (all purebred): calico Princess, light Brahma, welsummer, buff Brahma, partridge Cochin. Any guesses as to what the chicks might look like? Will they have characteristics of both breeds or will they tend toward one or the other?

1 Calico princess (I don’t know the genes of that one, so I’m just guessing buff.
Light Brahma produces golden cockerels and buff pullets (sex linked. Pea combs and feathered legs)
Welsummer would produce something like a mealy buff. (A buff, but with speckling of black)
Buff Brahma would make buff chicks (feathered legs and pea combs)
Cochin would produce buff with some irregular lacing. (Feathered legs)

Wow! Thanks for the info! Will the Welsummer X BO chicks be sex-linked? I was thinking that the Welsummer breed is, but didn’t know if the cross would still be

1 Calico princess (I don’t know the genes of that one, so I’m just guessing buff.
Light Brahma produces golden cockerels and buff pullets (sex linked. Pea combs and feathered legs)
Welsummer would produce something like a mealy buff. (A buff, but with speckling of black)
Buff Brahma would make buff chicks (feathered legs and pea combs)
Cochin would produce buff with some irregular lacing. (Feathered legs)

Wow! Thanks for the info! Will the Welsummer X BO chicks be sex-linked? I was thinking that the Welsummer breed is, but didn’t know if the cross would still be
Nope! And the word you are looking for is “autosexing.” Sexlinkage is an entirely different thing. :)

Back
Top Bottom