Buff Orp Roo x dark brahma hen. Is buff dominant? Other ?s

PaintedMeadows

Songster
11 Years
Jun 19, 2008
St. Isidore
OK. Mother's day a fox killed our roo and 9 hens so we put eggs under one of our two remaining hens. The roo was buff orp and the hens were buff orps, a dark brahma, australorps and ee's. Is the buff coloring dominant? Also with the brahma, would it have leg feathering or is that heterozygous? The dark Brahma was my daughter's special girl so we really want be able to tell which chick is the dark brahma's chick but so far they all look yellow and hard to tell if there is any leg feathering. They are less than 24 hours old. Any help would be muchly appreciated including pictures of these types of crosses. thank you so much in advance. It was a very sad day when we lost them and today is a bitter sweet day for us.

Buff isn't dominant as such.
Unless your austarlorp wasn't pure I don't think any of her chicks could have hatched as one would expect those to be black.
Brahma chicks one would expect to have a pea comb rather than the single comb of the buffs. One would also expect to see some leg feathering but if hatchery birds they could be unpredictable in many respects. A dark brahma is genetically a silver bird with pattern gene. The buffs genetically would be gold. With the male being gold those chicks from a brahma will have made sex links with the females being gold, (like the buff chicks) the male chicks from a dark brahma would be split silver & gold but the chick down would probably be lighter than the buffs. Brahmas are usually brown downed & buff orps wheaten. As the chicks mature you would expect to see dark markings in the plumage of the brahma crosses....first of all like lines then poor penciling in the females.
I hope you have some from her for your daughter. HTH

Thank you. I had to read it a few times to get it to all sink in. lol. They were all hatchery birds so I guess it is a crap shot. So far all are definitely varying shades of yellow that we can see. There were a few more pipped eggs last night so I am curious about what we will find out this morning. I figured they would be mostly yellow. I was hoping to see some feathered feet though. *sigh*

Back
Top Bottom