Buff Orpington 1st egg!

Hands On Dad

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 10, 2014
Walker, LA

Got 8 baby chicks on Jan 14. Almost exactly 20 weeks later, we got our first egg. 3 of our girls have big bright red combs, so any of them could be the culprit. It's small and tan, laid in the nest box like it was supposed to! Guess the fake ceramic eggs worked. My 2 boys are super excited!

Last edited:
I recently got 3 pullets that were hatched on February 15th. One of them is a Buff Orpington and I'm really looking forward to the first egg from her. Glad you have a picture of the egg you got. Been wondering what her eggs would look like.

It's light tan and kind of small. From what I've read on here, the eggs usually start out small but get bigger. I'll attach a better picture for you when I get home from work. Hopefully I'll have another one to show you as well!

A second egg waiting for me today. Same color but slightly bigger. The first egg seemed to get darker after a day in the fridge?

My two buffs laid the cutest little tiny eggs the first time, then I think after the first one or two they got slightly bigger, but nowhere near the size of my brown egg layers. Most Orps lay a small to medium sized egg I think. Although some people claim theirs lay big ones like a RIR, I think those are the exception, or hybrids. Mine seem to have thicker shells and they are kinda shiny, which makes them look neater.

Back
Top Bottom