buff orpington and egg laying in winter questions

davimi

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 30, 2009
We have 4 buff orpington hens. They were laying about 1 egg every day or so a piece. Now that it is winter they have almost stopped. I had heard that buff orpingtons were supposed to lay all winter long. Shoiuld I do something different to help them?...add heat to coup, different feed

Last edited:
We heat and give artificial light to keep them laying, but that's just us
hu.gif

I give them the purina brand egg laying pellets. They have a coup and a closed in run. I noticed because of the cold they are in the coup more. The coup does have a skylight in it to help with the light. we do not use any artificial light.

ADD some artificial light so that they have at lease 14 hours of light in the coop , that will help.

I have some buff orpington and mine are still laying like crazy, with lights on in there coop ,on at 4:30 am ,and off at 8:eek:o pm .

Alan

Should I use a light just for the light source of also for heat?

I upped the protein in my BO's feed and got one of the two to start laying every day again. Worth a try.

Mine are still laying well. I do use artificial light. 20% protein feed, because I add cracked corn. And as much free vegetation as I can get.

My Buffs had stopped laying as well. After two weeks under the light I'm up to four eggs a day from six chickens. Not perfect but not bad either. I should've had a light hooked up already but I didn't. Once I did the laying picked up in two days and then gradually increased. I suspect the heat from the CFL is negligible but the buffs don't seem to mind cold.

Back
Top Bottom