Buff Orpington chicks boys or girls?

Beckin

Chirping
Dec 4, 2020
hello, I have 3 buff orpingtons (potentially mixed) and a random little chick I’d like help with sexing. Orps 2 & 3 are 13 weeks old, chicks 1 & 4 are a couple of weeks younger.

I’m thinking my only girl is 2? What are everyone else’s thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1093.jpeg
    IMG_1093.jpeg
    375.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1094.jpeg
    IMG_1094.jpeg
    474 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1057.jpeg
    IMG_1057.jpeg
    689.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1051.jpeg
    IMG_1051.jpeg
    703.5 KB · Views: 46
1 is a boy, definitely a mix.

4 is looking like a pullet so far.

2 and 3 are also mixes. They look a little immature for 13 weeks.

2 is looking like a pullet.

3 has larger wattles and an uneven color pattern. It may be a late developing cockerel, but maybe not. I would give it some more time with that one.

1 is a boy, definitely a mix.

4 is looking like a pullet so far.

2 and 3 are also mixes. They look a little immature for 13 weeks.

2 is looking like a pullet.

3 has larger wattles and an uneven color pattern. It may be a late developing cockerel, but maybe not. I would give it some more time with that one.
1 is from a mixed pen that does have buff orp hens and a roo, so there was the chance for a purebred but I was skeptical. The two older ones are actually purchased from a pen of pure orps - but this is the 3rd time buying from this breeder and her chicks always feather up late, look scraggly, and look younger than they are. Thought it must have been my doing but all of my chicks from other breeders have been fit and healthy. 4 confuses me because she has a clutch mate with a much smaller and less pink comb. Would you still say 4 is a girl when her “sister” is so much girlier??

Attachments

• IMG_1082.jpeg
    IMG_1082.jpeg
    682.6 KB · Views: 42
I noticed #4 did have some comb development, but you say the chick is at least 10 weeks old. At that age I would expect to see more development in the comb and wattles if it was male. That's my opinion, but of opinions aren't accurate every time.

The older buff Orps looked to have slate legs to me, which is why I thought they were mixed. But that could just be the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom