Buff Orpington companions

GenuineJo

Chirping
Apr 27, 2020
I have ordered female Buff Orpingtons and was wondering if I could get a few Barred Plymouth Rock chicks too, what do you all think? Would these two breeds get along?

I have ordered female Buff Orpingtons and was wondering if I could get a few Barred Plymouth Rock chicks too, what do you all think? Would these two breeds get along?
Get along perfectly well in my experience.. they're equally matched confidence and energy levels.

Sounds like a lovely combination!

ETA: My statements are when raised together.. later introduction changes things some.

Get along perfectly well in my experience.. they're equally matched confidence and energy levels.

Sounds like a lovely combination!

ETA: My statements are when raised together.. later introduction changes things some.
Yes they would be raised together as I am getting the chicks within the week, both types if I decide to.
They seem like a good match. And I would enjoy the variety.

With living animals you don't get guarantees. So much depends on the individual personalities. You can always find stories about two breeds that don't get along. You can find stories about two chickens of the same breed that don't get along. But you can find a lot of stories where Orpington and Rocks get along great.

I would consider the odds that mixing those two would work out great.

That's what I did. I mixed my flock with Barred Rocks, Buff Orpington and a few Easter Eggers. So far so good!

Back
Top Bottom