Buff orpington down

Bahama chicks

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
One of my year old Buff Orpington hens was clinging to her perch with wings outspread yesterday morning. She flopped to the ground and I picked her up. She was HOT to the touch and almost comatose. She lays in a basket with head down, eyes closed, not drinking or feeding. I've cooled her with water and a fan and forced some water down with a syringe. I thought at first that heat stress was the problem as it has been very warm and humid here in the Bahamas. The birds have been panting and hanging out in the shade but she's the only one down. I noticed some mold in the feed and am unable to get anything fresher for a few weeks. The flock free ranges and has access to 'stuff' in the yard, some things good and some maybe not so good as in wet leaf litter, etc. I read the message from Coop-d-Ville and my hen's symptoms sound very similar. There was mention of a molasses remedy that worked for her, but the remedy wasn't displayed. Might it help my hen? Or, what do I do for Heat Stress....... needs to be self-fix.......live on an island.......no vet available.

I gave my hens live culture yogurt when one was having trouble with the heat over the summer. She really perked up from it. Just a suggestion......they love it too. Good Luck....i hope she gets better
smile.png
I was told the live culture is better for their tummy
smile.png

Last edited:
If you think she is poisoned the molasses flush can help

Molasses flush is 1 pint molasses per 5 gallons water given over a period of 8 hours withhold all other food or water.
The break down is -
(1 PINT = 2 CUPS)
2 cups to 5 gallons water
1 cup to 2.5 gallons of water
1/2 cup to 1.25 gallons of water
1/4 cup to 2 quarts water
4 tablespoons to 1 quart water
The molasses acts as a laxative by pulling water into the intestines and flushing it out.
I would mix it by the quart.

If it is stress from heat - vitamins or avia charge, yogurt etc would be good.​

Thanks so much for the speedy reply, I'll try the yogurt tonight and see how she is in the morning. I'm printing the molasses recipe now, I'll try it if no response to the yogurt.

for heat stress and other stress..

can you get avian electrolytes there?
if not..can you get Pedialyte (preferably unflavored)?
if not..can you get Gatorade?

if you cannot get electrolytes, dilute the Pedialyte or Gatorade with water.
give by drops on beak if the hen is unable to drink.

do not give moldy feed to your birds..
if you can't purchase new feed, try and find someone who has chickens who might sell you some fresh.

Thanks for the suggestions on my buff orpington who fell ill on the 18th. I thought maybe heat stress or quite possibly poisoning from moldy food. She felt like she had a serious fever, I cooled her and isolated her. She doesn't want to eat or drink. I tried the molasses flush and got the results of some very green and gooey stool. She has had a rather wet one every morning. She is sleeping almost constantly. I wake her every hour at least to try to feed something by syringe and get a little terramycin solution with vitamins and weak splash of gatorade. She fights being fed or watered and spits up what she can. I've been getting down a little egg/grits solution and some fruit. I don't know what her crop should feel like but I only feel a skinny neck on her. If I take her outside she manages 7or 8 wobbly steps then seems to fall asleep again. Sometimes she stands, but usually is sitting with head up or resting on chest. She is very slightly better than 3 days ago, but not making enough progress to get off the critical list. Still feels feverish at times.
I've been unable to get to the next island to try to find someone with fresh feed ( weather has been rough due to storm Faye), but will try to get in tomorrow and look for pedialyte also. Any other suggestions?

Forgot to mention that she also gets yogurt a few times a day, not that the cultures can stay live for long in her medicated system.

Back
Top Bottom