Buff Orpington egg size?

SandRun

Chirping
13 Years
Dec 19, 2007
Cincinnati
My 21 week old BO hens have started laying finally. I realize their first eggs are going to be smaller; however they have been laying for about week and so far each egg is only 1.5 oz. The shells are strong and they are very clean. Has this been everyone elses experience with BO's. What can I expect from this breed as far as egg size, and when can I expect a full size egg.

Mine took about three weeks to really get cranking but the egg sizes we get now are big. I would say almost twice the size of when they started to begin with. We still get a small one every so often.

My BOs started laying at 22 weeks and their eggs are small but perfectly formed and clean. At 22 weeks they are not mature hens yet and won't be until at least 6-7 months (24 to 28 weeks). Some of my hens are smaller and not yet fully developed - wattles and combs not fully formed yet - even though I bought them at 1 day old. Even though they say one day old you don't always get exactly 1 day old chicks but they range from 1 day to 3-4 days and sometimes even older as chicks kind of stay the same size for about a week to 10 days. There will come a day when you'll have good sized eggs coming out your eyeballs and then POOF!!! - no eggs at all as your hens take a break from laying 2 - 3 times a year and if you live in colder climate, their egg production goes way down in the colder months.

Glad I found this thread. Our two Buff Orpington's just started laying at 23 weeks, and the eggs are small. They are heavily shelled, and look perfect (taste great too). I got the BO's because I expected large eggs, and I was hoping the egg size would get larger as the hens mature. I look forward to the larger eggs.

Just wanted to check in and say goodbye for a while. Got the shock of my life. I guess I had a small heart attack and now I'm sitting in a hospital room waiting for open heart surgery on Monday, Won't be able to put out a garden or my flowers this year -soooo upset
hit.gif
My neighbor across the road just presented me with 4 more buffs Wednesday morning. Now I had to buy another heat lamp and, of course, keep the little ones in a separate box from the older ones who are 6 weeks old. I took two buffs back to the feed store and exchanged them for 2 Golden Sex Links - mix it up a little. Hope no more roosters, already got one. Anywa, will be out of commission for at least 10 days or more, depending on my recovery. I'm too young for this.

Im pretty new to raising chickens. I have 10 BO's that are 21 weeks. 7 of them look great with good sized bright red combs/waddles and are a good size. 3 of them have smaller combs that are more pale. At least two of my hens have started laying eggs. I was reading that to lay eggs they need more calcium so I have started mixing in layered feed into the grower feed. However I also read that if they arent mature enough it can cause kidney problems. Im torn on whether to give them the layered feed or wait until the less mature hens catch up? I have no way to seperate them so would love some advice. Also when should I give them oyster shells to help with the egg laying. Btw, its been unseasonably hot and the less mature hens are also lower on the pecking order which is why Im assuming they are behind. Probably not eating as much even though the feed is always out there and plentiful.
Any thoughts on all that?

Back
Top Bottom