Buff Orpington hen crowing! Good grief!

TXchickmum

Crossing the Road
12 Years
Apr 21, 2012
North Texas
Well, for the past week one of my four Buff Orpington hens has begun crowing. She is definitely a hen (almost a year and a half old, and laying well since about 24 weeks old). In fact, she is my one hen that goes broody frequently. -been keeping chickens for fifteen years, and only had this happen one other time with a Lavender Orpington hen. Has anyone else experienced this with Orpingtons, or is this just something that happens from time to time regardless of breed?

I think it happens from time to time regardless of breed, regardless of flock status and regardless of the presence or absence of a rooster in the flock.

I have an Ancona hen that crows from time to time and she started crowing when two young cockerels started crowing.

I have a Sebright bantam hen that started crowing when she hatched out two cockerel chicks. I often wondered if she was trying to teach them what they were supposed to do!

I have a mixed breed salmon Faverolles hen who was the first out into the run one morning recently when I was filling the feeders. She hopped up on one of the perches at the back of the run and started to crow. Her father has been in the flock since the beginning.

Last edited:
Thanks! I was thinking it wasn't just an Orpington thing. That's all I've had that exhibit this behavior, though. -certainly will be interesting if the code enforcement rep drops by regarding keeping a rooster. :lau

One of our girls started the name thing, every morning for the past week. She’s one of the Mystery Girls, thinking she’s either a Buff Orp, or a Gold Sex Link. From what I e read, it could be a dominance thing.

We've about decided it is heat related, here. We now have TWO of the four doing similar stuff, and they are the two bottom rungs of the four. We watched out the window a few days ago, and they start "honking" while panting (from the heat). Next the neck went out, and the crow! They have excellent shad, misters, fans, and an iced down 5 gallon waterer. -not much else to do when the heat is in excess of 100 degrees for months. I did take an ice cube and rub it over their combs and wattles, and then underneath their wings. That helped.......briefly. :rolleyes:

Well, for the past week one of my four Buff Orpington hens has begun crowing. She is definitely a hen (almost a year and a half old, and laying well since about 24 weeks old). In fact, she is my one hen that goes broody frequently. -been keeping chickens for fifteen years, and only had this happen one other time with a Lavender Orpington hen. Has anyone else experienced this with Orpingtons, or is this just something that happens from time to time regardless of breed?
I had a hen take up crowing, also a Buff Orpington, but she ceased after a few weeks! It was as if she discovered a new talent and enjoyed it for awhile but then lost interest! 🤣

One of our girls started the name thing, every morning for the past week. She’s one of the Mystery Girls, thinking she’s either a Buff Orp, or a Gold Sex Link. From what I e read, it could be a dominance thing.
I think it is a female hormone. There is an american program called Buried in the backyard. It worked on my first 3 wives. And usually works on silly old men in government

Back
Top Bottom