1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buff orpington pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LongRanch, May 29, 2016.

1. LongRanch

LongRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2016
    We bought three buff orpingtons as chicks, and by the time they were 3 weeks old, all three had big red waddles. So I made arrangements to return them to the breeder (which was for today). But as time went on, one started to grow into his waddles... and started to grow into his comb, which was a bit paler than the others...Now you can barely see the waddles. Took them back today, and the breeder said I should hang on to this one. It's either a pullet or a late maturing rooster. So, what do you think?? He/she is 6 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Both genders of chickens have 'wattles' and combs. That looks like a pullet to me.

3. LongRanch

Apr 17, 2016
    Yes I know, but I was told that her size/colour at three weeks old was way too big and way too red for a pullet. She just happened to grow into them. The other two cockerels' just got bigger. I really hope she is a pullet.

4. LongRanch

Apr 17, 2016
    This was 3.5 weeks old
    [​IMG]

5. chickenjess83

chickenjess83 New Egg

May 29, 2016
    Looks like a pulley to me... I have 2 of these girls and ones comb is 3 times the size of the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by