1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buff Orpington Questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GothChick, Sep 6, 2010.

1. GothChick

GothChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Hello Everyone,

We currently have four beautiful Buff Orpington chicks that we got last Friday. They are a little over 2 weeks old and have the most beautiful bright blue eyes. Will they keep their blue eyes or will they change color? Also do Orpington hens get mean when they go broody? Thanks for the help!

2. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Nope, blue eyes will change to an orangey red.

All broodies can be mean, it really depends on the hen.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The blue eyes should change to the standard reddish bay by maturity.

My experience with buff orp broodies has been mixed. I have a few who are downright mean and protective, keeping in mind this is their job as a mother to protect their young. They will attack you on or off the nest. I have many, many others who will puff up, growl and even give the occasional peck, but are harmless and once they realize you're not a threat tend to take well to being pestered on their nest. I have some who started our with aggressive pecking and through talking with them and gently petting them, they have calmed down and became some of my favorite girls. It certainly is nothing to fear if they show some aggression. Hens will typically back down or just try to avoid you when they're feeling "clucky". I enjoy having both types here. When you want a mom to raise babies, the more aggressive girls do a great job. And when you just want one to help with the incubation/hatching, the others do just fine.

4. Nana_4708

Nana_4708 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    Danville GA.31017
    I have one that is so loveable she had babys and our lab. had puppy she would go set with the puppys.
    Have pictures of her doing it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by