Buff orpington questions.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by awalters0815, Apr 17, 2011.

1. awalters0815

awalters0815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    I found a great deal yesterday on a straight run of 5 week old Buffs: only 1.50 each. I bought 8 (after talking myself down from 20). I tried to pick what I thought were pullets based on comb size and color. Are there any tale-tale signs I can watch for over the next few weeks to help determine what I have. If I don;t have at least 3 pullets I want to buy some more pullets next time I go back to the flea market.

2. Komaki

Komaki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    You do know that in the amount of time it's going to take to fine a roo, it may be to late to add more pullets without alot of work! On the up side, If you have one that feathers out more slowly than the rest watch for pointier tail feathers, faster growing comb. Things that are not like the rest of the flock. There are some/ hundreds of fine folk here that can and will help far more that I can. I've raised animals all my life, and I thought I couldn't be taught ANYTHING. Wrong! Hope I was alittle help. If you just do the math, you will find you need pullets now. lol:thumbsup

3. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    being all the same age and breed, I'd just keep an eye on the combs color/size differences....Some people can tell by the feathering in (supposedly males feather in slower) but that only works for me about 50% of the time...I guess I'm not good at that [​IMG]

4. Komaki

Komaki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Quote:I've got one right now that through me a twist. He's "Hen featherd". I've heard of it, but never saw it before. Sooooo....................I'm going with you on this. Comb, size and temperment/ aggression.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by