*Buff Orpington Thread!*

How many birds are you planning on? For a large breed like orps you wont want many with a chicken tractor unless it is a big one.
I made a big tractor and it is too heavy for one person to move. Trying to plan if I should add better larger wheels or simply start over and make a new one. Probably going with plan B and make a new one with lighter weight wood.

No more than ten total. I was thinking 3 Buffs, 3 Red Stars, and 3 Australorp. If I build a tractor, it will definitely be a large one.
Well I have 12 (so far) and the breakdown is 4 Red Star, 3 Buff Orp, 3 Langhans, and 2 Australorps.

Despite all the good things I read about Australorps thus far they are my least favorite of the four. They are mean to the other chickens but when my Pyrenees confronted the flock for the first time (pup is only 8 weeks old and we are trying to teach her to protect the chickens) it was the Red Star (normally harassed by the Australorps) that stepped up to back the puppy down with the puffed neck and head feathers doing the "You want a piece of me?" act in pups face.

I was impressed by the Red Star and would wish for more if I could roll back time and swap the Lorps for Red Stars it would be a no-brainer.
The Langshans are good strong looking birds with great posture - I like them a lot but think they learned some behavioral downside stuff from the Australorps like not being nice to other birds and not getting back in their tractor when the time comes.

Well I have 12 (so far) and the breakdown is 4 Red Star, 3 Buff Orp, 3 Langhans, and 2 Australorps.

Despite all the good things I read about Australorps thus far they are my least favorite of the four. They are mean to the other chickens but when my Pyrenees confronted the flock for the first time (pup is only 8 weeks old and we are trying to teach her to protect the chickens) it was the Red Star (normally harassed by the Australorps) that stepped up to back the puppy down with the puffed neck and head feathers doing the "You want a piece of me?" act in pups face.

I was impressed by the Red Star and would wish for more if I could roll back time and swap the Lorps for Red Stars it would be a no-brainer.
The Langshans are good strong looking birds with great posture - I like them a lot but think they learned some behavioral downside stuff from the Australorps like not being nice to other birds and not getting back in their tractor when the time comes.
I would sell them and get what you enjoy..................
big_smile.png

Informative, As a crotchety old geezer today, I suggest starting over. Or hook it up to your pick up truck and gun the sucker until it either moves, or falls apart so the pieces can be recycled into the new, lighter coop. Been there, done that. :p

Hey, what a great idea, anybody got a few Bo chicks in the Atlanta Athens area?

Thanks. That's good info to know.

Back
Top Bottom