*Buff Orpington Thread!*

My hens do get diatomaceaous earth in their diet. I follow a recipe called "breakfast of champions" that I found in the book Fresh Eggs Daily. Her comb is read, just not as red as the other three. I haven't tried mineral water, but I do put apple cider vinegar in their drinking water fairly regularly. I used to put garlic cloves in the water, but garlic is in the recipe I use.
Can you share that recipe? I also give them yogurt on Saturday mornings just to watch the fun

1 50lb. bag of layer feed
1 large grocery store canister whole raw oats
4 cups shelled sunflower seeds
4 cups dried seaweed
2 cups flaxseed
2 cups assorted dry herbs
2.5 cups gatlic powder
1.5 cups probiotic powder
1.5 cups food-grade diatomaceous earth
1 cup brewer’s yeast

Source: Fresh Eggs Daily by Lisa Steele
I love this book and recommend it
wholeheartedly. It is a wonderful resource and a very enjoyable read.

I have 8 bluffs. 2 of them are males...I think.. they are still young. Anyway, if I get more pullets should I stay with the buff or will I get a decent color mix by adding different colored females?
Thanks!

I have 8 bluffs. 2 of them are males...I think.. they are still young. Anyway, if I get more pullets should I stay with the buff or will I get a decent color mix by adding different colored females?
Thanks!

What are you looking to do - breed, sell eggs/chicks, meat or just enjoy chickens:)
I am not a genetics expert at all, but if you cross your BO male with other breeds, depending on what you have, you will have backyard crosses or sex-links-BUT...don't hold me to that:oops: @junebuggena and @oldhenlikesdogs are much more knowledgeable than I.

Would love to see your Buffs - how old are they? We may be able to determine sex, if old enough.

Last edited:
@Wyorp Rock They are around 4-5 weeks. I'll include pictures that I took today although most of them are of the 2 that may boys. Popeye is a huge photo bomber! I started out with wanting chickens for eggs and meat, although I'm not sure if I'll be able to do the deed. My brother- in-law and I have an arrangement worked out. I have fallen in love with chickens though. They really are something else!
I figured I can sell the eggs and chicks. I like in the country so rules and space aren't an issue. I do intend to keep my flock at a reasonable number though. Not sure what that number is yet.
@oldhenlikesdogs I mayget some different colors. I've thought about adding different breeds but I'm not sure which ones would do well with my BO. What has been your experience? 20180326_093308.jpg 20180326_093329.jpg 20180326_093336.jpg 20180326_093532.jpg 20180326_093544.jpg 20180326_093544.jpg

@Wyorp Rock They are around 4-5 weeks. I'll include pictures that I took today although most of them are of the 2 that may boys. Popeye is a huge photo bomber! I started out with wanting chickens for eggs and meat, although I'm not sure if I'll be able to do the deed. My brother- in-law and I have an arrangement worked out. I have fallen in love with chickens though. They really are something else!
I figured I can sell the eggs and chicks. I like in the country so rules and space aren't an issue. I do intend to keep my flock at a reasonable number though. Not sure what that number is yet.
@oldhenlikesdogs I mayget some different colors. I've thought about adding different breeds but I'm not sure which ones would do well with my BO. What has been your experience?View attachment 1311992 View attachment 1311996 View attachment 1311998 View attachment 1311999 View attachment 1312001 View attachment 1312002
I have lots of different breeds. Buff Orpingtons tend to be an even tempered breed. Not too dominant and not too meek. So pick what appeals to you. Think about things like how productive you need them to be. Whether you want different colored eggs, or what colors or patterns appeal to you. I personally like a little of this and a little of that. You can see a fraction of my birds by following my link in my signature. I keep a large breed flock and a separate bantam flock and have anywhere from 80-100 or so chickens at a time.

@oldhenlikesdogs I mayget some different colors. I've thought about adding different breeds but I'm not sure which ones would do well with my BO. What has been your experience?View attachment 1311992 View attachment 1311996 View attachment 1311998 View attachment 1311999 View attachment 1312001 View attachment 1312002

Cute babies! I do see a couple of cockerels, unless it's Popeye hogging the camera in more than one photo:)

Back
Top Bottom