Buff Orpington vs Silver Laced Wyndotte

Clemsonchickfan

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2015
Sumter, SC
i have room for two more hens in my coop and the local feed store is getting in a new shipment later this week that will include BOs and SLWs among others.

I already have two Brown Leghorns and two Cuckoo Marans, but would like a nice mix for my flock of six. I can't decide if I should get one of each or get a pair of one of these two.

Does anyone have any experience with mixing any of these breeds? Will one play together better than the other?

I have 2 BOs. They aren't super sweet, but that's due to the fact that I paid more attention to their prettier roommates, the SS. BOs make good broodies. One of mine is broody right now. I've never had SLWs, but they're very pretty. More so than BOs, imo.
Welcome to BYC, btw.

I've had both Silver Laced Wyandottes and Buff Orpingtons over the years (still have BOs in my flock) and I slightly prefer the Buff Orpingtons. Both breeds are beautiful, very cold hardy, and good layers of large, brown eggs (the lay rate of both breeds is about the same; about 4 eggs per hen per week), but my Buff Orpingtons have had a slight advantage in temperament. While my Wyandottes have generally been docile, I've occasionally had an aggressive Wyandotte that I've had to remove from the flock. My Buff Orpingtons have always been friendly and gentle; I've never had an aggressive one; and my children and granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) have easily made lap pets of them. As far as temperament goes, I don't think there's a better standard breed than Buff Orpingtons. Whichever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

I have some Buff Orpington hens and a rooster and they are very sweet, they get along good with others. I also have some Silver Laced Wyandotte that I just got two days ago. They are just baby chicks right now, but I read that they also get along well with others. I also have a Cuckoo Marans and she is good with others. I don't know anything about brown leghorns, but I do have white leghorns and they are also pretty well mannered.

Back
Top Bottom