Buff orpington weak??

The vetRx is that probiotics/electolyts? I found her this morning huddled with the other chickens like normal. I'm starting to wonder if she hurt her leg. They have a house that is 3 feet tall, and I think it's her that always goes up there and sits. I'm wondering when she jumped down, she hurt her leg. I'm going to put the probiotics in there water, and see how she does. I'm thinking she hurt herself. Again, thank you so much for responding. I'm new to all this, and still learning. :)

The vetRx is that probiotics/electolyts? I found her this morning huddled with the other chickens like normal. I'm starting to wonder if she hurt her leg. They have a house that is 3 feet tall, and I think it's her that always goes up there and sits. I'm wondering when she jumped down, she hurt her leg. I'm going to put the probiotics in there water, and see how she does. I'm thinking she hurt herself. Again, thank you so much for responding. I'm new to all this, and still learning.
smile.png

VetRX is for respiratory support mainly. (think vic's vapo-rub). The insert in the package mentions some other benefits like dry legs and such. The original formula for it, which, contained lard instead of corn oil, was invented for use in human babies to combat the flu back in the late 1800's. If you have a cold you can put 3 drops in your tea with a lot of honey and it will help you breathe better.
Eggcessive's post is also spot-on.
smile.png

Try VetRX anyway. Put a small amount of pressure on the leg, dose she seem abnormally shaken up or in pain?

If her leg is injured, she would limp, hop or the leg would appear out of alignment. Try putting her on a 2 inch wide perch and see if she wraps her feet around it. If she can't then maybe it is a sprain. A 3 foot jump for a chicken is nothing, they can do that all day long. I am pretty sure her leg is not the problem.

I'm happy to report that she is up and walking around today. Still weird, don't know what was going on with her, I didn't have to work today, so they have had the heat lamp and a space heater going, keeping the temp around 35 degrees in the garage. My husband, (who has nothing to do with my chickens, and they don't like him) was mad thinking we were gonna have a dead chicken. I kept telling him she needed time to get over whatever was going on, and quit being an *****. I'm still going to get some of that VetRx tho. Just to have it on hand. Is there any other medication I should have on hand? Also, when I give them grit, do I just put it in a dish and they know how much to eat? Do they eat it only when they feel they need it, or do I need to regulate how much they eat? Thank you again for the advice :).

I'm happy to report that she is up and walking around today. Still weird, don't know what was going on with her, I didn't have to work today, so they have had the heat lamp and a space heater going, keeping the temp around 35 degrees in the garage. My husband, (who has nothing to do with my chickens, and they don't like him) was mad thinking we were gonna have a dead chicken. I kept telling him she needed time to get over whatever was going on, and quit being an *****. I'm still going to get some of that VetRx tho. Just to have it on hand. Is there any other medication I should have on hand? Also, when I give them grit, do I just put it in a dish and they know how much to eat? Do they eat it only when they feel they need it, or do I need to regulate how much they eat? Thank you again for the advice
smile.png

Glad to hear she is doing better! You can put the grit in with the food just to make sure, that's what I do. I do their oyster shell the same way.
You'll be able to adjust how much you give them if when the feed dish is empty there's a lot of grit and shell left. A lot of people give shell free choice but I don't know about grit. I put my grit in with the feed because of the roosters who are unlikely to be looking through a bowl of shell for grit. And yes, they do know when they need it. As far as medications, there are several but if you buy it before you know what you need, you may never use it or it will expire. VetRx, triple antibiotic,de-wormer, and vet wrap are a good start.( "buy it before you know you even need it") is just my opinion. But do check your farm stores and walmart to know where to get stuff when you do need it.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom