Buff Orpington x Barred Rock results (pics)

Pics
5C6F85A1-6251-489B-AF0B-1C415D7665CE.jpeg
We finally got settled to the point that this is exactly the sex linked cross I’m looking for. These are my two favourite breeds. I found a nice roo(tho his tail is very lacking but he’s absolutely massive). And our BR hens are very chunky and 1 egg/day/hen most of 365 days a year.

Should be an interesting mix I can’t wait to see what they produce. And the convince of sex linking sounds fantastic.

Edit:It is hard to see scale but that feeder is like 1.5-2 feet high. These are the biggest chickens I have ever owned by far.

I'm excited to see what my chicks turn out to be. Roo was a BO and moms were: BR x2 chicks, EE x2 chicks, Splash Cochin x1 chick and Black Cochin x1 chick!
This was my first time hatching babies and my Black Cochin was an excellent brooder.
Here are pics of the BO/BR. If I read correctly looks like they'll both be roos because of the white in their heads.

4/27/2018 Here's my first BO/BR, Poppyseed, and a BO/Black Cochin mix the day they were born
20180427_195543.jpg

4/29/2018 All my new BO mix chicks with Poppyseed in middle (definite white spot on head, not shown in this pic however) and BO/BR new addition, Cilantro, middle bottom (very small amount of white on head, not sure if roo or not!). Cilantro was born with splayed/straddle leg and I used the band-aid method and it worked like a charm! 48 hrs later he was perfect.

(Just an FYI for others mixing their BO roo with hen crosses.... The light/white on the right, Lavender, and the light buff on the left, Basil, are both BO/EE. The top black one is my BO/Black Cochin, Peppercorn, and the buff with black on head, second from left, is Nutmeg, my BO/Splash Cochin mix.)

20180429_142157.jpg

4/30/2018 - Poppyseed at 3 days old.
20180430_102439.jpg

4/27/2018 - Cilantro at 2 days old
20180430_102726.jpg

5/2/2018 - Poppyseed at 5 days old, sorry for quality of photo, wouldn't hold still for glamour shots!
20180502_115155.jpg

5/2/2018 - Cilantro at 3 days old.
20180502_115305.jpg

5/4/2018 - Poppyseed 1 week old, front/side, back and wing views.
20180504_090858.jpg
20180504_090853.jpg
20180504_090939.jpg

5/4/2018 - Cilantro 5 days old - front, back and wing views.
20180504_090713.jpg
20180504_090702.jpg
20180504_090742.jpg

I will continue to post pics as they grow! Sorry for all the pics! I've done a lot of searching and can't seem to find any progression pics of BO/BR. I'll prob make other posts in new topics for the other BO crosses to detail their growth progression as well! Let me know if anyone is interested in those and I'll tell you the topic names once I've posted them.

Attachments

• 20180501_160139.jpg
    20180501_160139.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
That is actually a tough one. Usually it is way more obvious than that. Most of the baby pics I saw, the roos have a pure white face, and black body, with white spot. The pullets have brown on the face, and black body, no spot.

Yours both seem to have black and brown mixed and maybe a spot? Both roos possibly? Guess hard to tell until you have enough eggs to for sure have both pullets and roos to see the difference.

We got sucked into incubating turkey eggs right now so our sex link adventure is on hold for a month or so.

That is actually a tough one. Usually it is way more obvious than that. Most of the baby pics I saw, the roos have a pure white face, and black body, with white spot. The pullets have brown on the face, and black body, no spot.

Yours both seem to have black and brown mixed and maybe a spot? Both roos possibly? Guess hard to tell until you have enough eggs to for sure have both pullets and roos to see the difference.

We got sucked into incubating turkey eggs right now so our sex link adventure is on hold for a month or so.
I hope to take weekly progression photos. These two will change a lot by the time you're ready to add some to your flock family! Be sure to post pics of yours too when they hatch!

I've gotten mixed results. I sold all but one. The first one was a female. She grew yellow brown feathers with a few black spots. The second is a rooster and looks like a pure Barred Rock. I sold the week old, she had a yellow head with black & white body. I still have one and is white head fading into black tail. Sorry, no pictures.

0711181450.jpg 0710181359.jpg I hatched these Buff Orpington+Barred Rock cross chicks. There is one pure Orpington chick in the bunch. The little one with the dot on it's head was shrink wrapped in it's egg, so I rescued him.

Older thread, but has anyone ever crossed a jumbile orpington (roo) x barred rock (hen).

Just wondering because I happen to be in this situation. My hen is about ready to hatch her eggs and it want to know what to expect. Can't handle the wait.:wee

So, are you wanting to know genders, or what exactly?

Not exactly, just curious if anyone every hade the chance to have this fun combination of chicken. I'm more interested in knowing of how they well look like . For example, well they be barred with different colors or like thier father with just different varieties of colors.

Back
Top Bottom