Buff Orpingtons feet are red, need advice!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by leighton3, Dec 1, 2013.

1. leighton3

leighton3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2013
    Maine
    Hi everyone -
    I have a Buff Orpington that is already laying, under a year old. It has started to snow today and she is out free ranging in it she doesn't seem to be acting any different or favoring her feet. I noticed that the back side of her legs and the bottom and in between her toes are red. Her feet are very pale on top like normal. There is no blood and they don't appear to be swollen. Could they possibly just be cold?

2. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    mine did that to buff orpington. I am assuming it is just the colder weather because that happen prob 2 years ago :)

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I would also guess its the cold weather. Keep an eye on her for any blackening. If it starts to turn black it could be a fungus or frostbite. Make sure her area is dry so her feet don't stay wet. the wet feet can contribute to the fungus and frostbite in the winter. Hope this helps.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have many different breeds of chickens and it is usually normal for some breeds to have deep pink coloring in the legs. It is more noticeable on lighter leg colors like BO's. It is a sign of fertility. I wouldn't worry about it.

1 person likes this.
  5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Its probably normal. My chickens, especially my Silver-Laced Wyandotte get red legs when its cold out. My Silver-Laced Wyandotte always has kind of red legs, but they get redder if its colder. I wouldn't worrry too much.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  6. leighton3

leighton3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2013
    Maine
    Late getting back to everyone, thank you all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by