Buff Orpingtons heat tolerant?

papersnipart

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 27, 2012
Hello! I live in North Florida and I recently read somewhere that Buff Orpingtons don't like heat. :( We get temps into upper 90s during the summer (May - October). Is this going to be ok?

Hello! I live in North Florida and I recently read somewhere that Buff Orpingtons don't like heat. :( We get temps into upper 90s during the summer (May - October). Is this going to be ok?

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined!!!
smile.png
I have Buff Orpingtons and it gets to the upper 90s in the summer for me too. Ive had no problem with them. Make sure they have cold water at all times (I put ice in it) and shade. Some people use fans in their coops. Good luck!!

I have two buffs in my flock here in Kansas and this previous summer was HOT! None of my chickens liked it, that's for sure. I actually had one of the buffs have what looked like what I would call heat stroke...found her in the coop, laying on her side, eyes closed, breathing very heavily. I took her inside where it was cool, gave her water through a eye dropper, and let her rest. She slowly came around and by the next morning she was fine. They would not be the breed I would choose for super hot weather but the day I mentioned this happening was the hottest we had so I consider it more of an anomaly than anything else.

Hi there!

I don't have any Buff Orps myself, but it seems like I've read that they're a reasonably heat-tolerant breed. I have Brahmas, with heavily feathered legs and feet, and they withstood our summer just fine. On some of the worst days, when temps reached 105+ degrees, we would put the hose on the mist setting and put a fan in front of it. The girls seemed to appresiate this, and they would settle down in front of the fan. At night, we left all of the ventialtion windows open, and put a fan up to one of the openings. They got through our horrendous summer without a problem.

Your birds may be different, but I think a fan in the coop is always a good idea in the summer. Just be sure that the chickens have a place to go where they can avoid the fan. Drafts can be a problem even in the summer.

Best of luck with everything!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom