Buff Orpingtons - new here

Rae

In the Brooder
May 18, 2017
Hi new here. I have had 2 buff orphingtons since they were wee chicks and they are 7 months old now. I added 3 brown hi point chickens that are 5-9 months of age. So I have a small flock of ,5. They all get along fine. I joined because I'm learning I love these little hens and I'm enjoying their little personalities. Recently one of my buffs started fluffing up allover and sitting in one spot for several hours. She gets mad if you disturb her. First day she did lay an egg. Yesterday though she went in the coop and sat on the floor for 6 hours. I disturbed her and looked her over trying to see if she had anything wrong. She appeared fine. Took a big poop that looked normal. Any ideas? Is this normal? I can post this on a help forum. Just wanted to introduce myself. ;)

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. It seems like she is broody, but I'd expect her to occupy a regular nest box, but then, chickens rarely follow our rule book :)

Since you don't have any fertile eggs, I'd be inclined to break her broodiness. You can do this by putting her in a wire crate (with food and water) that is raised slightly off the ground (using a couple of bricks would do the job) and keeping her there for 3-5 days. It's best if the crate is placed in the coop.

Sounds like a broody hen to me. Since her eggs would be infertile (no rooster), you could buy a few fertile eggs (for any breed) and put under her -trade for whatever eggs she is sitting on now. She would hatch them and raise as her own.

You could put "broody hens," in the search box and read up about it. It would be a good time of year to raise chicks. They would be a good age before facing winter.

:welcome so glad you have joined us.

IMO definitely her first broody spell.

I love the BO's but they can go broody quite often. For mine it can last only a week up to 3 weeks. And the longer broody, the longer the lag until she starts to lay eggs again.

There are 2 main opines on what to do for unwanted broodiness:
1 - let nature runs it's course ( which is what I did)
2 - try breaking the broodiness - many report it works, but I'm not convinced since it is a hormonal cause.

But, do make sure she is going out for food and water at least twice a day. And when she does it does cause a ruckus with her temporary attitude.

Thank y
Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. It seems like she is broody, but I'd expect her to occupy a regular nest box, but then, chickens rarely follow our rule book :)

Since you don't have any fertile eggs, I'd be inclined to break her broodiness. You can do this by putting her in a wire crate (with food and water) that is raised slightly off the ground (using a couple of bricks would do the job) and keeping her there for 3-5 days. It's best if the crate is placed in the coop.

Thanks. Can she be broody if she isn't sitting on an egg?? I will look it up!! Thank you!

:welcome so glad you have joined us.

IMO definitely her first broody spell.

I love the BO's but they can go broody quite often. For mine it can last only a week up to 3 weeks. And the longer broody, the longer the lag until she starts to lay eggs again.

There are 2 main opines on what to do for unwanted broodiness:
1 - let nature runs it's course ( which is what I did)
2 - try breaking the broodiness - many report it works, but I'm not convinced since it is a hormonal cause.

But, do make sure she is going out for food and water at least twice a day. And when she does it does cause a ruckus with her temporary attitude.
Omg I was so worried. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom