Buff orpingtons thread-what do you think about the breed. THEY ARE AMAZING

picklestheduck

Obsessed with Animals🦆🐓🐥🐴🐱🐶
Premium Feather Member
Oct 16, 2021
Michigan
I'd like to start out saying.... This is a friendly bickering thread. I don't want people on here exploding at each other. We can totally have friendly and joking arguments though. Everyone can have their own opinion, and thats totally fine! 😁I'd seriously like to hear opinions from both sides. I personally love the breed, and if you hate them, thats fine. Why though? A lot of people hate buff orpingtons. WHY. Yall be hating on them when they can't control what they look like. They are a sweet bird and are the golden retriever of chickens in my opinion. I hear a lot of people say they hate it when people call them certain shortened names and stuff. Don't blame the chickens! They didn't give themselves the nickname! You can say what you want, but how can you not say my buff orpington Mango isn't cute?

@EmmaRainboe (in a previous thread you asked to be tagged in an argument thread so here ya go)
1653620537339.png
1653620550619.png
1653620611152.png
1653620622597.png
1653620660955.png
1653620675827.png

LOVE my BO! Buffy Buffington is her full name, she has been top lady for 6 years as others come and go! It's going to be my saddest chicken day ever when she leaves. She is huge! She manages the rest with respect and class. She is SO chill, she has no malice or tackiness like some of the others. She is just beautiful and as you say, very much like my loving Golden Retriever, she loves me. She's so smart, she goes where I go and is the first to get whatever bugs show up under things I move or places I dig. I just got another BO chick this Spring - DNice, so that she has a little protege.
IMG_2249.JPG

I've had them and am not a fan.
They're known for being a gentle breed. I've had several roosters from different sources and most grew up to be total jerks. The hens have been fine.
I had also heard they were a very broody breed. I've found several other breeds that were more so.
The thing that has turned me off the most is their popularity. Lots and lots of people have them. That's taken away from any uniqueness they have. It has also cause every hatchery to sell them and their quality has suffered because of that.
Go to a show and look at the buffs there. You'll quickly see the poor quality that are in most people's flocks.
I switched over to BBS Orpingtons and found them so much better then the buffs. BBS were everything that Orpingtons were known for and everything the buffs fell short on.

I'd like to start out saying.... This is a friendly bickering thread. I don't want people on here exploding at each other. We can totally have friendly and joking arguments though. Everyone can have their own opinion, and thats totally fine! 😁I'd seriously like to hear opinions from both sides. I personally love the breed, and if you hate them, thats fine. Why though? A lot of people hate buff orpingtons. WHY. Yall be hating on them when they can't control what they look like. They are a sweet bird and are the golden retriever of chickens in my opinion. I hear a lot of people say they hate it when people call them certain shortened names and stuff. Don't blame the chickens! They didn't give themselves the nickname! You can say what you want, but how can you not say my buff orpington Mango isn't cute?

@EmmaRainboe (in a previous thread you asked to be tagged in an argument thread so here ya go)
View attachment 3125272View attachment 3125273View attachment 3125274View attachment 3125275View attachment 3125284View attachment 3125290
What do I think about the breed? Love them!

What do I think about buff orpingtons? Hate them! Just the way they look. On the inside they’re still chickens.

I've had them and am not a fan.
They're known for being a gentle breed. I've had several roosters from different sources and most grew up to be total jerks. The hens have been fine.
I had also heard they were a very broody breed. I've found several other breeds that were more so.
The thing that has turned me off the most is their popularity. Lots and lots of people have them. That's taken away from any uniqueness they have. It has also cause every hatchery to sell them and their quality has suffered because of that.
Go to a show and look at the buffs there. You'll quickly see the poor quality that are in most people's flocks.
I switched over to BBS Orpingtons and found them so much better then the buffs. BBS were everything that Orpingtons were known for and everything the buffs fell short on.
Stephen Colbert Thank You GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Back
Top Bottom