Buff Orpingtons

cupman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Portland, OR
Well I have this problem that seems to be fairly common around here. Every time I go to the feed store to pick up food I somehow end up with a couple more chicks. Well, the place I was going had these Buff Orpingtons and I had never seen them before, they were kind of sandwiched between the quail and the pheasants so I had no idea they were back there. I bought one of them yesterday, and I'm considering maybe getting more... but I'm at 15 now so I kind of don't have room for it.. anyways I'm trying to weigh my options here. Are Buff's good for eating or are they more for laying.. I see they are considered "dual purpose" but are they better at one area than the other? I almost want to add on to my coop and go get 4 more.. it's sick.

I have a BO Rooster. Based on his size, I would say if you feed them correctly they could be really good meaties. But, I have always red they lay well too.

Last edited:
Good for eatin! But really they lay pretty well too (just a tad broody). Ideally you eat the eggs for awhile and then when you get really hungry have some chicken.

Quote:
This describes me exactly. They are just like pokemon for grownups--gotta catch em all!

Back
Top Bottom